Chapter 7

"I'll just go back," I spoke up interrupting the many conversations happening around me.

"What was that honey?" Abby asked sitting back down next to me.

"I'll go back, to my foster family."

"Excuse me, what did you just say?" Ryder asked angrily.

"I'm not safe here. I'm pretty sure that every pack on your side of the world has heard about me, the strange new comer mated to their Alpha-to-be. Talen has probably heard about it too. He might be asking questions and I don't want to be tracked by the guy who captured and killed the person equal to him in power."

"Are you kidding me? How are you not safe here? Anybody in any of the packs that I will rule will give up their life before Talen has a chance to lay a hand on you," Ryder said.

"That just makes me want to leave more! I don't want to be responsible for any deaths! I don't want people giving up their lives for me. I was a nobody  back home, I can easily blend in again. Talen won't suspect shy Hayden to be the person he's looking for."

"How can you call that place home! You are not going back and that's final."

"You are not in charge of my life!" I said standing up.

Suddenly, the coffee table started rattling and the curtains started blowing in nonexistent wind. There it was again. My anger, fear, and confusion was bringing my powers to the surface. Abby quickly stood up and put her hands on my arms and started rubbing up and down.

"Don't be afraid, don't be scared. You need to accept this. Calm down, and take deep breaths. You are not going to hurt anybody, and we're not afraid of you. You don't need to be either. Close your eyes and breathe."

Hands shaking, I let her voice sooth me and did as I was told. Breathe, breathe, breathe. After three  deep breaths I opened my eyes to see that the room was calm once more, and so was I.

"That was no big deal. Easy as pie." I couldn't help but laugh at how Abby perceived controlling my deadly powers. It was as if she just helped me understand a math problem.

"However," Abby began becoming serious again, "if you decide to leave, you can't go without Ryder. He is your mate and cannot be separated from you for a long time. Mates need each other, no matter how annoying they may be."

"Hey! What are you trying to say?" Vick spoke up.

"Not talking to you."

"But you are talking about me! My pride's been hurt."

"I'll cook your favorite dinner tomorrow."

"And suddenly it's all better." I laughed at their childish teasing.

"Hayden, I want you to one day be able to see me as a mother and someone you're always able to come to when you need help. I will do everything I can to help you with your powers. It would be an honor to have you as my daughter." Tears filled my eyes as I pulled Abby into a hug.

"Thank you. I've never been able to have a mother figure before."

"Oh, you sweet girl. Why do the best people have to be the one's who go through the worst things?" We broke apart from the hug and she placed a kiss on my cheek. "You should go to bed and rest up. We have a lot to teach each other tomorrow."

"Goodnight."

"Night sweetheart."

Ryder quietly led me back to our room. Once the door closed, the air was thick with tension and it felt awkward to be alone in a room with him. He was obviously still angry.