Chapter VII

Diana's POV

After Dracula disappeared, I was brought back to my room. Nobody came to the room after that and I didn't mind. I couldn't stop thinking about Dracula's words "I fought for Christ my entire life, yet he dared take away the only thing that mattered most to me in this world " , it was obvious how much he had loved his wife, to have everything taken away from him...I couldn't even imagine.

Why must I feel this way? As if my heart is breaking for him? It was clear my time in here was starting to cloud my judgment, I needed to try and find a way out of here not stay in my room and mourn the life of a dead person.

I put my shields up and I left the room. Dracula said I was free to walk in his castle, technically he said garden but one could always get lost and find herself on other parts of the castle, at least that is the excuse I have prepared in case someone finds me.

I walk through the long corridors, there were a few windows that were to narrow to jump through, besides we were too high up for me too even survive the jump. The moon was high in the air, I had no idea what time it was, only that it was late, or early depending on the time schedule you are on.

I walk through some doors, where I hear music and laughter from women. I try not to think much about them. My stomach boiled in anger when I thought of them and Dracula and I couldn't even understand why that was. At least I was unwilling to understand. I stay away from those doors, it was best to stay away from the most numerous of people possible. I was in a crossroad so to speak, I could only turn left or up. The most logical course would be for me to turn left but there was something...like a pull that was leading me up, and up I went.

Carefully, step by step I climb the stone staircase. I always had a curious mind, and usually that always led me to some kind of trouble, let's just hope this time is not one of those times. I reach the end of the staircase and I patiently wait to see if there is somebody up here, when I see no signs of it, I continue my path. The room itself didn't have much on, it was almost bared to speak the truth. There were large tick curtains obscuring the light from the moon leaving this place only to be illuminated by torches and candle light.

The furniture consisted on a table and a chair where someone might spend its evenings writing letters and scrolls, further into the room a painting draws my attention, I pick up one of the candles and I approach it so I can take a better look. The painting itself consisted on the portrait of a woman, a beautiful woman, with long silky brown hair and this gentleness and kindness in her eyes. I couldn't look away from this portrait, this woman...she looks so familiar...like a distant memory in the back of my mind that no matter how much I try I can never grasp it.

Another thing that caught my attention was a small wood toy that stood beneath the portrait. I pick it up, it as a horse that stood on wheels. This was the kind of toy that belonged to a child...I could almost see it, the laughter of a little boy as he plays with his toy in his father lap as he Works. I smile at the Picture, this toy...I could feel my heart break as I held this toy. I press the toy right next to my heart, as if I could keep it safe. What was wrong with me?

 What was wrong with me?

Suddenly I hear noise behind me and I jump around looking for the intruder, even though technically I am the one intruding. I relax when I see it was just the wind from the window that had scattered some papers that were laying on the table. I put the candle next to the painting and the toy where I had found it and make quick work in gathering all the scattered papers, one had particularly flown farther than the other and had entered another compartment in the room. What I found there never in a million years I thought I would see.

Inside this compartment was a stone coffin, a large and tick coffin, and behind him stood a large cross with skeletons wrapped around it, skeletons that look to be hundreds of years old.

"And for their betrayal, Dracula murdered his advisors and renounce God" I say quoting the story I had been told when I was a little girl. So, it was true, all of it, and he still kept them here, by his side...why would he do that? Surely, he does not wish to wake up and see the bodies of those who betrayed him every night. But then why else would he keep them there?

"I keep them as a reminder" a voice suddenly spoke behind me

I jump. I've been doing a lot of that lately...

I turn around and see Dracula staring at the cross

"A reminder?"

He takes his eyes off the cross and puts them on me instead "To never forget the betrayals of those I trusted the most. A reminder of all that was lost because of that trust"

I stood silent for a second as I gaze at the cross again, every time I look at it, I am filed with this sadness and... fear, not of him but of something else...something... deeper. I can't explain it, I could barely even form the words all I had were these emotions and I didn't know what to think of them.

"Your wife wasn't the only person you lost that day, was it?" I ask. Seriously sometimes I swear I have no filter between my brain and my mouth. The question just popped out before I could even acknowledge its content.

He said nothing and I dared take a look at him. He was still in his place, his face a mask, impenetrable to others. I had no idea what he was thinking right now.

"Renfield will take you back to your chambers" was the only thing he said. His voice calculated, cold.

I nod realizing this was a battle I could not win. Dracula was a difficult man to decipher but little by little I'm starting to see a new layer to him, and a part of me wanted to see how he was like when he is not holding back.

Vote, Comment & Share