xix. him

carry on my wayward son by kansas

her eyes hurt when she woke up. it wasn't the beautifully cliche wake-up. her eyes burned from the sun that beat into the room. the room itself was baby blue and she'd never been there before.

she heard little feet running outside her room and assumed she was at xavier's mansion.

that's a good sign, she thought, at least i don't have amnesia.

she was alone other than a camera in the corner where the ceiling and walls met. it had a blinking green light. she moved her hand and waved at it.

it hurt to move.

she looked at herself. she wore a simple white nightgown. it was free from embellishments, thankfully. she had fuzzy white socks, her usual request. she was cold, as she usually was, though she had a few blankets draped over her.

what was visible on her body was covered in nicks and bruises. a few bad stitches. the main issue was that her head throbbed with every blink. every breath hurt.

the door opened. colossus entered, closing the door behind his monumental body. he stood not two feet from the door, his hands crossed one over the other.

"how are you feeling?"

"i feel like i was thrown twenty feet from an explosion. how are you feeling?"

"fine, thank you," he ignored her sarcasm, or didn't comprehend it. it didn't matter though. "xavier sent me."

"how long was i asleep?"

"two weeks. we knew you were okay. you different, he said."

"yeah, i guess i am. how's logan?"

he tightened up and watched the floorboards.

"he is not so okay." he sat at the foot of her bed.

"is he asleep?" her heart dropped. "is he healthy? did the regeneration work?"

"xavier say he is in comma."

"a comma?" if it were fathomable, her heart plummeted even more.

"regeneration," he stumbled on the word for a moment, "is not working."

"why not?" she sat up, her head screaming at her not to.

"xavier say they messed with it," colossus looked at her. "they same people that work on you."

"those bastards." she stood, ignoring the pain. she tore cords from her arm and ran out of colossus's reach. he stood and followed.

his orders had been to keep her in the room. she was still technically quarantined, and she wasn't supposed to see logan in his state.

she followed her legs to logan's old room.

she opened the door.

her mouth dropped. logan was in bed. he was connected to a canopy of cords. they sprouted from every limb, all connecting to different veins.