Chapter Two

Travis looked around the room that he had chosen for Zane and himself to stay in. When Aphmau told them all to pick a room, Zane told Travis that he didn't care what room they got and that Travis could pick. So, Travis sprinted upstairs and looked in all five bedrooms, deciding on the one at the end of the hall. It had a nice view of the campfire--which he didn't even know was there--and a path that went up into the woods. He made a mental note to check the path out later.
He and Zane were already unpacked, and they were both standing silently in their room. It had two dressers, one bed, a nightstand on either side of the bed, and a small TV on the wall across the room from the bed. Downstairs, there was a living room area, a kitchen, a dining room, two bathrooms--one on each side of the cabin,--and stairs to the basement. No one had explored the basement yet.
"So.." Zane said softly. "What do we do now?"
"Oh! I was actually just thinking about following that path in the woods to see where it goes! It looked pretty well worn down, so i'm guessing it leads somewhere." Travis pointed at the path through the window.
Zane looked for a moment, then turned back to Travis. "Where do you think it leads?"
Travis shrugged. "It could lead anywhere! Let's go ask the others if they want to go!" Travis walked out of the room. He heard Zane sigh, then Zane's footsteps following him.
Travis was surprised to see that everyone else was downstairs and sitting in the living room. They all turned when Travis and Zane walked down the stairs.
"About time you finished unpacking!" Aphmau laughed.
Travis nodded. "It took longer than expected. Hey, did anyone see that path in the woods?"
"I did!!" Garroth said.
"We should check it out! It might lead to something cool!"
"That sounds like fun!" Aphmau stood up. Aaron instantly stood up when she did.
"Could be cool." Laurence agreed, standing up as well.
"Let's go!"

They all stood at the tree line, peering through the closely packed trees at the path.
     "The forest looks dark." Kawaii~chan said quietly.
     Travis saw Zane shift closer to him in the corner of his eye. Even Aaron looked unsettled by the dark woods.
     Travis stepped forward. "I'll lead the way, I guess." Then, without waiting for a response, he stepped past the tree line and started walking the path.
     Zane hurried after him and clutched his arm, staring into the shadows on both sides of the path. Travis chuckled and kept walking, aware of the many footsteps behind him.
     "How long do you think the path is..?" Zane whispered.
     "I'm not sure."
     "Will we be able to find our way out?"
     "Yes, Zane. We will."
     "Are you sure?"
     "Yes, Zane." Travis laughed. "Don't be so worried."
      "I just don't want to be out in the woods when it's dark." Zane mumbled, his grip tightening on Travis's arm.
     "I don't think we'll be here that long."

     A few minutes later, Travis noticed that trees were beginning to thin out. The path suddenly widened into a giant clearing that was more than halfway filled with a huge pond.
     "Woah! Aren't you glad we came up here?!" Travis ran up to the edge of the water.
     Everyone looked around in amazement. It was much brighter when there weren't trees looming over them.
     "We should come up here and swim sometime!" Dante said, standing beside Travis at the water.
     Travis heard soft footsteps, and turned to see Zane disappearing into the forest on the path. Travis felt a pang of disappointment that Zane was leaving, although he didn't know why.
     Then, he felt worried. What if Zane got lost?
     He noticed Aphmau was watching him go as well.
     "Where's he going?" She asked, turning to Travis, as if she expected him to know.
     "I have no idea."
     "He didn't tell anyone?!"
     "No.." Travis sighed. "I'll go after him and see what's up."
     Aphmau nodded. "Good idea."

     The path was even creepier when Travis was alone. When he looked up, he could see some daylight coming through the trees, but even with most of the sky blocked, he could tell it was getting dark. He began wondering how long it would take for it to become completely dark and hoped that everyone would be back in time.
     Coming back to the cabin, the path felt twice as long. Travis decided that this was because he was anxious, and it only seemed longer. He was relieved when the forest opened up and he could see the cabin. He didn't see Zane outside, even though he could only see the back of the cabin.
     He probably went inside..
     Travis walked around the side of the cabin to the front and went inside. The warmth made him relax after the nervous hike through the woods.
     He had a quick look around the downstairs part of the cabin, but Zane wasn't there. Travis climbed slowly up the stairs, listening for any sign of Zane.
     Shaking his head to clear the worried thoughts that began to cloud his mind, he looked into their room. He was relieved to see Zane at the window, looking out at the forest.
     "Hey." Travis murmured. Zane jumped.
     "You can't just sneak around like that!!"
     "What do you mean?"
     "I didn't even see you walk out of the forest! I haven't even been here that long! And why didn't I hear you coming up the stairs?!"
     "I was quiet."
     Zane sighed and turned back to the window. "Too quiet."
     Travis sat on the edge of the bed. "Sorry for scaring you."
     "..Whatever."
     Travis kept quiet for a few minutes until he couldn't take it anymore.
     "So.. why'd you just.. leave like that earlier?"
     "..I don't know what you mean."
     "Yes, you do. We were by the pond and you walked away and came back here."
      Zane fell silent.
     "Were.. Were you scared? Is that why?"
     He saw Zane look down.
     "Zane, if you were scared, that's nothing to be ashamed of. I was scared. I even thought Garroth was going to scream like a little girl if something made a noise."
     He heard a soft chuckle from Zane.
     "So.. were you scared? Or did you just want to get away?"
     Zane sighed. "Yes, I was scared. But the weird thing is, I wasn't just scared. I felt... strange. Like I had to leave, right then and there."
     "..Huh. That is a little weird. But, it's probably just you being anxious." Travis glanced at the window right as Aaron emerged from the path with Aphmau clinging to him. Everyone else followed close behind.
     Travis was a little surprised that Zane was sharing this, but it made him
happy that Zane told him first instead of Aphmau.
     "If you're ever scared of something else here, or worried about something, or angry, or sad, or anything, just know that i'll be here to talk, no matter what."
     Zane still hadn't moved from the window. "....Thank you.."
     "No problem. Now, I was thinking we could see if everyone wanted to sit around the campfire in a few minutes. What do you think?"
     "I think it'd be fun."
     "Then, let's do it! We can meet them down there and ask."
     Zane nodded. "Okay." Then, he started walking to the door.
     Before Travis reached the door behind Zane, Zane turned around and gave him a quick hug. Then, he kept walking without a word.
     Travis just smiled and walked after him.