Descent Into Darkness Chapter 41

Start from the beginning

She continued, skipping parts that he already knew pertained to him. “Mighty phoenix incarnate, longing for home, to return to surprise. That would be your son. Companions arrive, deals are struck. And I honestly hope that passage means them.”

He looked up, suddenly aware of the flurry of movement on the ground, and someone shouting up at him. Five people had walked into the village while he was in concentration, the townspeople had hidden, and a woman stood below, clad in brown leather armor. Brown hair, green eyes, and a lithe figure, she stood below, looking up at him like an old friend. He looked to Lian, who nodded, and they both dropped from the roof, bending their knees to absorb the impact once they landed. “If you come to attack us, you will be sorely disappointed,” Phoenix growled. “This village is protected.”

The woman said nothing, only lighting her hands in response. Her flame was tinged with blue, and Phoenix recognized her at once “Kelissa?” he breathed.

The woman nodded, a smile breaking out on her face. He rushed forward, and she opened her arms. “I thought for sure you had died!” he cried, hugging her tightly.

“I had a wonderful teacher, and I went on to teach the others after you left,” she beamed. “Every time Demetrius attacked after that we were able to repel them.”

He released her and looked her up and down. “My, you've grown.”

“It has been two years, Phoenix. Such things tend to happen.”

He smiled. “Well what brings you to Yaag?”

“We are responding to a call for aid. We received word that Yaag was leading an offensive, and we have answered the call.”

“My father asked you to come?”

“No,” a female voice rang, and he turned to see Ember and Spedro behind him. “I called them.”

Ember's eyes were still red from tears, but she came forward and gathered her brother into an embrace. “I forgive you, Phoenix,” she whispered in his ear. “However, we still have much to discuss.”

She released him then, and offered her arm to Kelissa, who grasped it. “We come to fight,” Kelissa said. “I bring soldiers, elementals, and food. We come to meet Demetrius on the field of battle.”

“When did you send this call, Ember?” Phoenix asked.

“Two months ago. I sent envoys to many cities, though most we have not heard back from.”

He raised an eyebrow. “And Doritan allowed this?”

“Like your sister has told you,” Doritan's voice called, “much has changed in the time you have been absent.”

He looked past the five newcomers to see his father holding Tuuv, and at once he understood. The baby had changed his father. “I can see that.”

“Is there somewhere we might speak?” Kelissa asked, and Ember gestured toward the inn. “Of course. You must be hungry and tired after your long journey.”

Kelissa nodded, and Ember led them across the square, and Phoenix could see Lindani following them, yards behind. He sighed, the old ache settled in his chest, but Lian's hand on his shoulder reassured him all would be well. They settled around a large table, the innkeeper Jenso brought plates of steaming mutton and potatoes, and all of them began to eat. “So, Phoenix,” Kelissa said after swallowing a mouthful of meat, “tell us of your travels, for we have heard a great many rumors.”

Phoenix looked down, wondering what to tell her when Ember came to his rescue. “Much has transpired, far too much to tell,” she said. “Ask him another time, when troops and death are not the discussion we should be having.”

Kelissa blushed and took a swallow of ale. “We bring six hundred men, all proficient with a sword. Another fifty elementals, spanning air, earth, and fire, and enough supplies to last two months from this day. We are camped but two leagues from here, guarding your western approach.”

Ember nodded to Spedro, who began writing on a parchment. “Good. Yaag can supply two hundred swordsmen, and ten fire-born, not including Spedro, Phoenix, Lian, Lindani and myself.”

“Lian?” Kelissa asked, and was answered by a shadow dropping from the rafters to land at her side.

She started, almost falling sideways out her chair, her hands lighting once more, eyes wide as she took in the frightening sight of the eastern woman. Kelissa recovered quickly, wiping her mouth with the back of her hand. “I guess she must be Lian.”

“I am,” Lian answered, inclining her chin. “I have heard much of you, Kelissa, daughter of Doiron.”

Kelissa stood, offered Lian her arm. “And you will have to forgive me, but I know not of your name or people.”

Kelissa was obviously expecting an explanation, but looked crestfallen when Lian nodded and walked away, disappearing into the shadows of the roof once more. Ember looked to Phoenix as if to say control her, and then turned back to Kelissa. “So, we have a total of nine-hundred-and-ten fighters, sixty of which are elementals. I do sincerely hope others answer my call.”

“As do we all,” Kelissa answered, looking down at her plate, pushing it away after a moment.

Phoenix stared at his sister, both proud of her new strength and bewildered by it. Did she possess such eloquence and grace all along, or had his absence forced her to take up his reins? He had received many answers this day, but the most important questions still burned, like an itch he could not scratch. He looked up to the rafters to see the light glinting off of what he thought were Lian's eyes, and he gestured outside, and he thought she blinked in response. “Forgive me,” he said, rising from the table. “The hour is late, and I have not slept for two nights. Kelissa, it was wonderful to see you once more. Ember, Spedro, I would very much like to meet you in the meadow tomorrow morning, for I have something I would very much like to show you.”

All three of them nodded, and he turned from the table, walking toward the door, but Lindani's glare from another table across the room stopped him in his tracks. He strode over, doing his best to appear nonthreatening, even though his anger was seconds away from overflowing. She sat with her crossed legs on the wood smoothed by years of use, and he placed his palms flat on the same surface, bringing his face inches from hers.

“Think of me what you will, Lindani, but I never stopped loving you. I love you still. If this upcoming battle does not claim my life, I will spend the rest of my days proving to you that I am worthy. Do what you will, choose another even, but I will always be here, for my son if not for my love. I was influenced by a power beyond my control, but that is no excuse. I expected anger, but not outright hate.”

Lindani did not flinch, nor offer him a response, and he continued. “Either way, I have one thing to say. Remove my son from arms once more in the manner from earlier, and you and I will have problems. I do not wish to harm you, but I will not allow your hate to deny him of a father.”

With that he turned and left, barreling through the door of the inn and into the darkness. If he had taken the time to look back, he would have seen a single tear streak down Lindani's cheek.