Chapter Twenty-Three (Alex)

Just so you guys know, this chapter is in Alex's POV. If a chapter is in anyone's POV, other than Lena's, it'll say so.

___________________________________________________________

     I lifted the bottle to my lips and took another swig, staring out of the windshield. The morning after I left the manor, I came and took Andrew's car. Unfortunately, I can't go to any public bars due to the fact I might be spotted, so instead I swiped a few beer bottles from the bar in the manor. 

     I can't believe the hole I've dug for myself. I don't regret being Lena's protector, but god dammit, that girl is just walking trouble. How can something so beautiful be linked to so much tragedy? I let out a sigh and took another sip from the bottle.

     I heard my phone go off and I looked over to the passenger seat where it was sitting. The caller ID said Nate in big letters. This would make the tenth time he's called me since I left. I wasn't in the mood to hear him bitch me out for leaving. I picked up the phone and hit decline, tossing it back onto the passenger seat.

     I had reached the bottom of my second bottle, so I calmly rolled down my window and tossed it into the dumpster I was parked next to. The safest place for me right now was behind a shopping center, and that pissed me off. I didn't know what I was going to do about the fact that my face was on display for everyone in this and the neighboring state to see.

     As I rolled my window back up, my phone began going off again. I picked it up to see Nate's name on the caller ID again. Whatever, I would have to deal with him eventually. I scratched the back of my head and hit the answer button.

     "What, Nate."

     "She's gone." I felt my jaw clench as his words sunk in.

     "Who's gone?" I asked, but I knew exactly who he was talking about.

     "Lena. She's gone." I gripped the steering wheel, my knuckles turning white. 

     "This better be a god damn joke," I said, my breathing getting deeper as I hit the end button and threw the phone back onto the passenger seat. Within seconds, I was heading away from the shopping center and back onto the main road.

                                                                   * * *

     I marched up to the front door of the manor and threw it open. "Where the hell is she!" I yelled, my voice echoing throughout the grand room. Dozens of people turned and looked at me, council members and their families. Sam weaved through the crowd of people and headed over to me, her face full of worry. When she got close enough, she drew her hand back and smacked me hard across the face, making me step back. I looked at her, my face full of shock, and lifted my hand to my cheek.

     "You bastard! You were supposed to protect her!" she yelled, and suddenly Nate was there, pulling her back.

     "Calm down, now," he said in her ear, holding her by her upper arms. He gave me a glare and took a step back with Sam.

     "Not that you don't deserve it, I'd beat you to a pulp if there wasn't a room full of people watching, but there's more important things to deal with right now," he said, and I continued standing there, speechless.

     "He's right," I heard a women's voice say, and I looked up to see Grace and one of the other council member's, Stacy, walking towards us. Stacy was Sam and Nate's mother, and a highly respected member of the council. She had the sibling's dark hair that came down to her waste, straight as a line, and the same piercing blue eyes. She wore white trousers, a deep blue blouse that came down to the elbow and pumps that matched. She also gave me the same glare her son was giving me.

     "What in the world were you thinking, Alex?" Stacy asked, crossing her arms as she stood next to her children. "You had one job, and that was to protect this girl."

     "I-I..."

     "No, don't tell me. You weren't thinking."

     "Guys, guys," Grace chimed in, and everyone turned to look at her. "There's no use attacking anyone. What's done is done. It won't bring Lena back any sooner if we all turn on each other," she said, and the reality of the situation was hitting me harder than a sack of bricks.

     "She's really gone..." I whispered, looking down at the floor and grabbing handfuls of my hair.

     "Alex, you can feel bad for yourself later. Right now, we need to find Lena as soon as possible. She's been gone a whole day now, that's more than enough time for the Uras to find her. I wouldn't doubt they've already found her," she said, her eyebrows pulled together in frustration.

     "Oh, God," I breathed, and had to kneel down on the balls of my feet to keep myself from passing out. Lena was missing and the Uras were probably doing unspeakable things to her, and it was all my fault.

     "Guys, back off," I heard a voice say, and I looked up to see Andrew making his way toward me through the crowd. "Leave 'em the hell alone, he didn't know she would run away," he said, and leaned down, pulling me up to my feet. He put his arm around me and gave me a light shake.

     "We'll get her back, don't sweat it," he whispered, and patted my back.

     "You think so?" I asked, looking into his eyes. I wasn't sure if I could take my brother's word, but I hoped he was right.

     "I know so. Fifty people against a pack of yahoos, it's obvious who's gonna' come out on top," he said, and gave me a tight smile. I forced a smile back.

     "Now that that's settled. Everyone get ready. We have a girl to find," Grace said, and everyone dispersed, going in every direction. Andrew stayed next to me, and Sam and Nate stood their ground, glaring at me.

     "I'm so sorry," I said, my voice weak, and it was all I could think of to say. What could I say? I failed my job as a protector. I failed Lena.

     "We'll forgive you for now, but you better hope Lena comes out of this alive. If not, it's your head," Nate said, and walked away. Sam continued looking at me.

     "Maybe this will be a wake-up call for you, Alex. Stop being such a jerk to people. You never know if today might be the last day you ever see someone you care about," she said, and with that, she was gone. My breathing was getting shaky, and there was a heavy weight on my chest.

     "I do care about her," I breathed, and Andrew gave me another pat on the back.

     "I know, Alex. I know."

________________________________________________

Sorry this was such a short chapter, but it was just a POV chapter, so there wasn't too much I could put. All other chapters will be in Lena's POV, unless it says otherwise.

CHAPTER TWENTY-THREE QUESTION :

DO YOU THINK THIS "WAKE-UP CALL" WILL CHANGE ALEX?