Chapter Twenty-Two

I woke with a pounding at my temples. My head was aching, and my brain was on fire. I lifted my hand to my forehead and touched it gently, wincing when the pain increased at my touch. What had happened?

     I sat up and took in my surroundings. I was sitting on a wooden floor. I looked around, spotting a dirty couch, a dingy kitchenette and a small table with metal chairs around it. I suddenly remembered what happened, and where I was. I quickly got to my feet.

     Perhaps too quick, because my vision swayed and I had to bring my hands up to my head to steady myself. Light leaked in through the dirty windows, casting shadows everywhere, letting me know it was daytime. Where were my kidnappers? Surely you don't kidnap someone and then just leave them unattended. 

     I walked over to the door and grabbed the doorknob, but it wouldn't turn. I was locked in. Wonderful. I turned around and looked around at all the windows. Each one was way too high to crawl through. Even if I pulled up a chair and climbed on it, I wasn't sure I could even fit through the window. It looked like it belonged in a basement, but smaller in size. They were just large enough to let light into the small shack.

     I let out a sigh in defeat and felt more pounding at my temples. How hard did he hit me? Hard enough to knock me out, that much was clear, but it felt like my entire head was one big bruise. The bathroom should have a mirror, I thought to myself, and made my way to the back of the shack where the bathroom was located.

     I walked through the bathroom door and took in the sight. There was a sink, a toilet and a standing shower, but they were all encrusted with dirt and dust, so much that it would take a good amount of elbow grease before anyone in their right mind would actually use them.

     I stepped in front of the sink and stared into the film-covered mirror. It was dirty, but not too much that it was useless. I stared at my reflection, my eyes widening when I saw the large bruise blossoming over my right temple. I lifted my fingers to it and gently touched it, wincing again when I got struck with more pain.

     I thought Alex was maleficent enough with his violence, but Jack made it clear that Alex could've done much worse. Sure, Alex had left a bruise on me once, but it was nothing compared to this. I was surprised I was still alive and kicking, considering the fact I could've had bleeding in the brain and what-not. Gently, I moved aside my hair and leaned closer into the mirror.

     I suddenly heard the sound of the front door opening, followed by male voices.

     "-but I couldn't, because obviously I'd look like an idiot and... Hey, where'd she go?" I heard the voice of Jack, and my heartbeat quickened. I silently shut the bathroom door and locked it.

     "You better hope she didn't escape," I heard an unfamiliar, muffled male voice. More new people. Great.

     "Shut up, she was knocked out cold. The windows are sealed, there's no way she got out," Jack said, and I heard the sound of something being slammed down on the kitchenette table.

     "Isn't there a bathroom?" the other male voice said, and my heart sunk. I was hoping they would go out and look for me, but they were obviously not that dumb.

     "Oh, that's right," Jack said, and I heard the sound of footsteps drawing closer. I backed myself up towards the shower, wishing I could just shrink and disappear. The sound of the doorknob shaking, and then silence.

     "Helena?" I heard Jack's voice from the other side of the door, and I tried my hardest to slow my heavy breathing.

     "Helena, I know you're in there. Open up," he said, his voice calm, almost caring. I shook my head, keeping quiet. He was not caring. He was just acting like that to fool me. I wasn't fooled.