Chapter 30: Last Chance...

Start from the beginning

"Sorry ma'am. He didn't know who you are. And you don't even have a visitor's pass. You've to collect one at the gate there." He gestured to a lobby like area outside the building. Oh right. Visitors pass! I just followed him and waited until he finished talking to the receptionist. He escorted me till the elevator and pressed a button 27. "Ma'am I'll be down here if you want anything. And the secretary will let you through. I've already spoken to her. You can call me if there's anything." He said and gave me a broad smile which I returned obviously. He seemed to be in a really happy mood.

The lift went straight up to 27th floor without stopping anywhere. I was pretty excited, though I knew I'm going to get screwed pretty badly. For some odd reason I felt like laughing.

The lift doors opened to reveal a lavish lobby reception. But no one was there behind the table. There was just one another door to enter. I was about to enter it when a voice stopped me from behind.

"Excuse me Miss?!" I heard an angry, frustrated voice of a lady. I turned around and her eyebrows were raised with her hands on her hip with a file in her hand.

"Mrs. Perkins" I completed her sentence. "Oliver just spoke to you about me. Mr. Perkins?" I reminded.

"Oh yes yes. I'm so sorry ma'am. Should I show you the way?" She asked me before looking back to her desk. She was obviously busy, so I shook my head and smiled at her to ease her worries. She looked quite fine to be a secretary. Why do men have such pretty secretaries. Do they even see their qualifications or just the looks?! Anyways... she seems to be a nice girl.

"No, I think it's fine. It's this door, right?" I asked.

"Ah yes. Another door- Uhm- straight- inside" she stuttered at and I nodded with a smile.

Oh god! I just hope this goes well. I thought and opened to find another a waiting room in there. She did say another door after I go inside. There was one to the left, right and one straight in front of me.
I know Nick was in there and I just have to say the two words. I believe... no! I know he'll make a good father. I just need to convince him. If not.... I'm on my own.

I held the doorknob and turned it. I took a deep breath before I pushed it open. I saw the chair turned towards the other side. Nothing was seen, it was like no one's in here except that the chair was turning slighting. The chair was so huge I couldn't see him.

"Nick... I'm pregnant!" I finished quickly. But quick enough for him to hear it clearly.

I heard something fall behind me and I turned around to see that it was a file. A slowly moved my eyes from the person's shoes to his face. Because he seemed familiar. Because his face too was very familiar. Oh shit! Oh shit!

I looked back to see who was behind the seat.
Shit! Mr. Perkins?! It wasn't Nick. Suddenly, I was pulled out of my thoughts when Nick pulled me. My hand on the doorknob slowly slipped. I looked back to see Mr. Perkins with a surprised but satisfied expression on his face. Oh god.... I hope I haven't ruined this.
Nick pushed me into the room that was earlier on my right and locked it quickly before he led me into a bedroom. I sat down silently on the bed.

"I didn't know you'd fall so low Katherine!" He hissed my name. Low? "When I asked you to give me one reason not to divorce you... I didn't mean this! You knew that if my father entered this situation we'd never divorce especially if you are pregnant! I never expected you to be like other girls. At least they'd be actually pregnant. You're totally faking it. Fuck! I don't know how I'll even look at my father now. I was going to tell him about the divorce today and I still thought we won't have to go through one." His eyes were closed tightly as his finger stroked the bridge of his nose. "But thank you." His eyes pierced into me. "For proving me wrong! For stopping me from doing a mistake! Cause now... we will get an annulment." He said and turned around.