The Birth Certificate

Toby strolled past Katie's room, trying to keep as quiet as he could as to not wake either of the girls that were fast asleep in the hospital bedroom.

Toby peeked his head in to watch as Spencer rested her head on the edge of the mattress and her butt on the chair next to it, sleeping soundly. He turned his head up to look at Katie only to see that she wasn't asleep.

"Hey," Toby whispered to her. "What are you doing awake? You should be getting some rest."

Katie blushed. "I was, I swear, I just woke up. Are you a doctor?"

Toby smiled. "No, I'm just a friend of your mom's. I was there when she got the call that you were in the hospital. I just wanna make sure you both were ok."

Katie smiled. "Are you guys together? As in together together?"

Toby gave a chuckle. "No, uh, we're just friends,"

Katie's shoulders slumped and her smile faded. "Oh. You must be a pretty great friend to stay here all night just to make sure she was ok,"

"And to make sure you're alright. How are you feeling?"

Katie giggled. "I'm feeling fine. you know, You'd make a really great doctor,"

Toby nodded and chuckled. "Thank you. Do you wanna wake you're mom up? I'm sure she'll be happy to know you're feeling better,"

Katie looked down at her mother, sweetly. "No, she deserves to sleep. She stayed up for most of the night, even after I fell asleep I could feel her watching me."

"She loves you very much, Katie." Toby said.

Spencer groaned and stretched her arms out in front of her. "hey, you're awake," she said to Katie. "How are you feeling? I'm sorry I fell asleep, wake me up next time, ok?"

Katie nodded. "I will and I'm feeling much better,"

Veronica tapped on the side of the doorframe, peeking her head in. "Hey, The doctor is in the waiting room. He has good news."

Spencer petted Katie's light brown hair once and kissed her forehead before heading out into the hallway, smiling at Toby as she passed him. Toby winked at Katie before following Spencer out.

"Spencer," Toby said. "I was wondering if we could talk,"

Spencer gave Toby a meloncoly smile. "Sure, just, um, let talk to the doctor first,"

Spencer walked toward her mother where she was standing next to the doctor, chewing the inside of her mouth.

"So, what's the 411?" Spencer asked.

He sighed. "Miss Hastings, I'm afraid that Katie appears to have acute leukemia,"

Spencer's breath hitched. "What does that mean? Does she need a transplant?"

The doctor nodded. "She does. She needs a bone marrow transplant. We can put her on the transplant list but it's unlikely she'll make it to the top in enough time,"

"I'll do it," Spencer swallowed. "Where can I get tested?"

"You should know, it's a pretty risky surgery..." he began but Spencer interrupted him.

"I don't care."