ch. 23 | head gear

Start from the beginning

Dustin waved his hand dismissively "They're probably making out or some shit. They'll be out here in a minute"

Will's head popped up curiously "They're together?"

"Oh that's right you don't know, but yeah Mike and El are totally into each other" Lucas replied fake retching

Dustin laughed "I know it's a shocker Will. It's been a shocker to all of us that Mike actually landed a girl"

Tires screeched loudly against the asphalt as a tan station wagon pulled up

Joyce emerged suddenly from the car "WILL! ARE YOU OKAY SWEETIE? WHAT ARE YOU DOING OUTSIDE OF THE HOSPITAL?"

"I'm fine mom. I just needed to get some fresh air." Will moved his head from his mom's hands

"I heard about the lockdown and came as soon as I could!" Joyce paused suddenly recognizing the others

"Hey Miss J" Dustin and Lucas waved sheepishly

"Who's that?" Max mouthed

"Will's mom" Lucas whispered

Joyce walked over to them and hugged them "Aw just look at you two! You guys have grown up so much! but wait what are you doing here?"

"Um we wanted to see Will?" they replied in unison

Her face grew stern "Something isn't right. Tell me the truth boys.

El sat in a chair her arms and feet restrained to it. She saw Mike across the room sitting on the floor his hands and feet tied together by rope. She sighed and hung her head down.

"Project Eleven, I'm so glad that you could join us today. We honestly thought you were dead" Lowe walked over to her and stroked his fingers through her hair "We didn't recognize you at first"

She jolted her head away, scowling at him

"What do you guys want with her?" Mike questioned, his voice cold

"We came to finish what we started. Brenner was an exceptional man who discovered that we could reach another realm through the use of his daughter. But ever since his passing and Eleven's mysterious disappearance we've been trying to reconnect by the use of Will Byers. However, now that we have her back.. Things should go a lot more smoothly" Lowe grinned maliciously

Jones rubbed the back of his head nervously "Sir, are you sure you should be telling the boy all of this?"

The professor walked near Mike with his hands clasped behind his back "It's fine Jones, It's not like he's gonna be around for much longer anyways."

El suddenly shook the chair trying to free herself from the restraints

"Ah that brings me to my next point, cooperate with us Eleven or you'll witness your friend here die a very brutal death" Lowe stated pulling the sheets off from the tanks

Mike and Eleven stared in horror

"Y-You sick bastard!" Mike screamed out

"They haven't eaten in a few days, they're quite hungry you know." Lowe said pridefully placing his hand upon the glass "By the way would you like to know where I got these beauties? None other than your little buddy Will Byers"

Mike shook his head repeatedly "No. You're insane"

"Oh but it's true. The creature that he had encountered in the other realm laid its young inside of him and when they were ready they made their way out. He would then vomit them up. I took the initiative of raising and nurturing them and voila."

"Why do you need them? They're dangerous!"

"Exactly." Lowe smiled, he then motioned towards Jones "Bring me the headgear"

Doctor Jones immediately rushed back holding the head gear with wires protruding from them

"Put it on her" Lowe demanded

Eleven cringed at the sight of the headgear that she had been forced to wear as a child. She suddenly had flashbacks of all the terrifying experiments that she was forced to perform. She didn't want this but she couldn't let them hurt Mike. She'd do anything she had to as long as Mike would be okay.

She held her head down wincing as Jones placed the gear on her head and plugging in the wires "Should be connected and ready to go sir!" he called back

"Good. Now Project Eleven begin to channel the other realm"

"El, No don't do it!"

Lowe shot Mike a quick glare "Shut up boy!"

"Eleven listen to me, don't do what they want. They're bad men!"

"I said SHUT UP!" Lowe yelled swiftly kicking Mike in his side

Mike yelped

Eleven shook her head "Stop! don't hurt him!"

A devious smile came across Lowe's face "Channel the other realm then"

Eleven focused intently. She hadn't channeled anything in awhile. She tried her best though but she was struggling.

Lowe kicked him again this time even harder "I said channel it!"

Mike moaned in pain

Eleven now began to tear up. She had to figure out how to channel the upside down and fast.

Lowe grabbed a metal rod and tapped it against the palm of his hand "I'm waiting."

"I'm trying." she quietly breathed

"Well try harder!" Lowe commanded promptly striking Mike roughly with the metal rod

Mike let out a blood-curdling scream as his face began to spew blood

Tears began to flow freely down her cheeks "No! Stop it! I can find it for you!" she then closed her eyes and gathered all of her strength.

She focused her mind and drifted off into another place.

Before she knew it it was almost as if she was dreaming.