"I'm sorry we left you," Sierra said, squinting because of the morning sunlight.

Scott just shrugged, his bright smile unwavering.

"Oh, god, that is freaking awesome," Stiles declared. "I mean, this is seriously gonna be the best thing that's happened to this town since—"

He suddenly lost the ability to speak when his eyes fell on one of their classmates walking toward them, her heels clicking against the pavement.

Lydia Martin had the boy practically malfunctioning like a robot, her strawberry-blonde hair blowing behind her as she held her head high. Her green eyes gleamed with determination.

"T-The birth of Lydia Martin," Stiles stuttered, reconstructing his thought from before.

Sierra stifled a laugh at his actions. Wanting to embarrass him further, she called out, "Hey, Lyd!"

As she walked, the popular student looked away from the other girls surrounding her. When she saw Sierra, she offered her a small wave.

Lydia breezed past the boys, not even acknowledging Stiles or his frozen state.

Stiles watched her head toward the front double doors with a frown.

Then, he whirled around and glared at his best friend

Then, he whirled around and glared at his best friend. "I hate you."

Sierra only smiled and shrugged. "No, you don't." She turned to go inside, continuing as the boys trailed behind her. "It's not my fault you've never worked up the nerve to talk to your crush."

"But it is your fault that you've never hyped me up to her before," Stiles argued. "You two are friends."

"Kind of friends," Sierra corrected him when they reached the stairs. "We just have a lot of classes together."

Stiles huffed, not liking her answer. But instead of arguing with her, he turned the blame to Scott. "You're the cause of this, dragging me down to your nerd depths. I'm a nerd by association—"

"Um, no," Sierra inserted herself into the conversation again. "Stiles, no offense, but you're a part of an online gaming community that battles mythical creatures."

Scott smirked at the annoyed look on their best friend's face and lifted his hand curled into a fist toward Sierra. She instantly bumped her own against his.

Stiles rolled his eyes and pushed past them.

"I only play on the weekends."

*^*^*^*^*^*

"As you all know, there indeed was a body found in the woods last night."

The trio's first-period teacher did not hesitate to share the county's latest news. Scott glanced to his left, where Sierra and Stiles sat in the next row. Stiles had always preferred to sit behind Sierra; whether to annoy or distract her in class, Scott didn't know.