Blogging the Psalms -- Psalm 23

Psalm 23

Psalm is a universal favorite in Judaism and Christianity. Its famous line: "Though I walk in the valley of the shadow of death" is often associated with death. But the entire psalm is a gem of comfort for the struggles the believer encounters in life.

Consider: "thy rod and they staff they comfort me." In Biblical times, a Shepherd's rod was used to gently chastise and lead the straying lamb. Those who are believers know that tap as well ..the tap from God on one's spiritual shoulder. It could be a gentle rebuke in a dream or a subtle flow of coincidence that enlightens us. A good sheep knows and loves that guiding rod. I remember once when I was quite sick. I wondered why. Then I dreamed of a dog lapping its vomit. During the dream a voice asked me, "Haven't I told you not to eat anything with corn?"

About six years ago, I was told in a dream not to eat corn, but I didn't really obey it. It was a dream where an angel showed me a plate and scraped off corn on the cob, hotdogs, and pork, from my plate. A week after the dream a friend appeared out of the blue with a platter of corn on the cob, mini-sausages, and pork. A dream affirmed by a coincidence. But did I obey the dream? Nooo!

This dog vomit dream was God's gentle rebuke, a rod and staff that comforted me. God had given me a tap on my sheepish shoulder to remind me of what he had told me years ago. Any sheep who truly loves her shepherd rejoices when instructed and rebuked.

Another time, I had a dream in which someone said to me: "Don't you know that Psalm 23 is a warfare prayer?" I thought about it. It truly is. It is an affirmation and positive confession of God's care.

There is also a "guidance" aspect of Psalm 23. So much of it shows God as guiding and leading. He leads to "still waters," "in the path of righteousness," and "by his rod and his staff."

Whenever some Christians hear the word "lost" or "lost sheep," they often imagine a sinner or someone who lost his moral way. But it is more than that. It is also a description of the human condition. The Bible views human life as pitying and confusing: Humans are depicted as walking on a road - often in darkness, without any kind of spiritual light- and seeing only a few steps before them. Worse, the light humans often use to lighten their way is tainted by spiritual ignorance and worldly wisdom. Therefore, no matter how wise, strong, and rich we humans think we are, we are like little children and powerless little confused lambs without the guidance of a Good Shepherd, the Holy Spirit within us.

Human adults often consider themselves shrewd and in-the-know. There are programs, old wives tales, colleges, experts, astrologers, mediums, fortunetellers, counselors, pundits, and magazines that tell humans how to keep sane, how to get true love, how to live healthily, how to know and control our future, how to grow wealthy, get the best job, and how to conquer or avoid obstacles in life. Yet, with all this presumed knowledge they have no control or true joy in their lives. Humans walk around doing so-called intelligent things which God considers such things stupid. But God knows the way the world really works.

God sees humans as little sheep who are snared by traps, preyed upon by wolves, serpents, and lions, self-deceived or deceived by worldly-wisdom. We are like sheep who feel we have triumphed when we sneak out of a locked pen but we don't realize that the Shepherd's rules and the edges of the fold were made to protect us. In short, humans are as stubborn, pigheaded, blind, and stupid as sheep are. We need a Shepherd and we need to know we would be lost without a Shepherd.

When a lost sheep is back with his master, he realizes how utterly lost he was. Not just morally lost in sin (missing the mark.) Not just lost in trespasses (walking into a dangerous or illegal field where one doesn't belong.) Not just lost in iniquity (treating sins partially, excusing one's self or one's friends while judging others for the same sin.) But lost in how and where we look for worth, lost in where we look for true food, lost in powerlessness, and lost in how we walk the road of life.

Psalm 23 is a psalm that shows us what a Good Shepherd can do for us. One should never underestimate the importance of having a Good Shepherd who knows the way we should go. How wonderful it is to have a Shepherd who knows exactly what each of us should eat for our own unique bodies! How wonderful to have a Lord who guides us through dreams about what strangers we should avoid, what ventures to take, what house we should buy, what town we should live in! The Good Shepherd is that close to us and the Bible tells us that God cares about everything in our lives. We must grow to trust Him to guide us in small and great things. We must believe He loves us so much... so very much.

Psalm 23 shows the relationship between the Shepherd and the sheep. God is presented as a loving shepherd who anticipates and cares for his people who are his sheep. In the Bible, the Lord often contrasts Himself with the false shepherds or the hired man. The Psalm is spoken from the sheep's perspective.

The sheep is so proud of his Shepherd. He boasts of the great care his Shepherd has for him. This is not a distant Shepherd, like a distant God. It is not a God who doesn't care about the heart of the sheep. The good shepherd provides, leads, guides, feeds, protects. The relationship between the Shepherd and the sheep is so deep trust that the sheep will follow such a shepherd everywhere.

A good exercise to do with this Psalm is to repeat it twice. In the first rendering, emphasize the Lord and all pronouns that refer to Him. Then repeat the psalm again, this time emphasizing I and all the pronouns that refer to the speaker. Such an exercise will highlight the heart of the psalm which is about the relationship between God and the believer.

1{A Psalm of David.} The LORD is my shepherd; I shall not want.

2He maketh me to lie down in green pastures: he leadeth me beside the still waters.

3He restoreth my soul: he leadeth me in the paths of righteousness for his name's sake.

4Yea, though I walk through the valley of the shadow of death, I will fear no evil: for thou art with me; thy rod and thy staff they comfort me.

5Thou preparest a table before me in the presence of mine enemies: thou anointest my head with oil; my cup runneth over.

6Surely goodness and mercy shall follow me all the days of my life: and I will dwell in the house of the LORD for ever.