Lesson Eight Verb Tenses

As we all know, there are three normal verb tenses; past, present, and future. Korean has them as well! So far, you have been working using a normal present tense form of verbs. These use the 어요/아요 ending.

I will briefly review the present tense. Then you will learn about another form for the present tense, followed by past and future.

Present Tense

The present tense is just as you have learned. You take the dictionary form of a verb, drop the 다, add the appropriate ending.

먹다 - 먹 + 어요 = 먹어요 

마시다 - 마시 + 어요 - 마시어요 - 마셔요. 

This tense is used to represent what happens in the present. I eat. I drink. It is a general term for the present.

Currently Happening

There is a form you have not learned yet that is very common dealing with the present tense. Although you can say 먹어요 to mean you are eating, as in 밥을 먹어요...there is a more specific way to say you are currently eating rice. As you speak, it is happening. The pattern is:

~고 있어요.

It is quite simple. You take the verb from the dictionary form, drop the 다 and you are left with the stem. You add 고 있어요 to the verb stem and that is all! This will form a present tense of the verb of something that is currently happening. To form the casual style, you would just add 고 있어.

밥을 먹고 있어요 - I'm eating rice (as we speak) 

우유를 마시고 있어요 - I'm drinking milk (as we speak) 

반바지를 입고 있어요 - I'm wearing shorts (as we speak). 

It is commonly used :) I'm currently eating... I'm currently wearing this...I'm currently reading.

There will be practice at the end of all the tenses. Otherwise, you already know what the sentences say! :)

Past Tense

Past tense is another easy verb tense. Here is the basic pattern.

1.Take the dictionary form, drop the 다 

2.Add the ending 어 or 아, which makes it the casual form (everything but the 요 at the end) 

3. Add ㅆ under the last syllable 

4. Add 어요 on the end.

먹다 

먹 + 어 - 먹어 

먹어 + ㅆ - 먹었 

먹었 + 어요 = 먹었어요. 

마시다 

마시 + 어 - 마셔 

마셔 + ㅆ - 마셨 

마셨 + 어요 = 마셨어요 

가다 

가 + 아 - 가