Man and Woman(Mr.Ambrose's POV) 1

Start from the beginning

Selfish.

I was a selfish man.

But i had never claimed otherwise .

Holding her hand..hmm

Stupid. Reckless. A decision born out of recklessness.

Really? Why do you keep thinking about it then?

Great question. I am not aware of the answer so irrelevant to my current purpose.

I had been immersed in these thoughts when the first wave struck throwing the ship to one side and rocking the interior of the cabin. The glass of water lying on a rickety chair fell to one side splattering the carpet. Distantly i could hear shrieks outside. Bah! I had been lying stiff as a board and were no mood to change my current position. I had been in ships before. Oh yes i had traversed in quite many of them so a wave rocking the ship seemed nothing of consequence. I had survived bigger and larger atrocities. This couldnt't be such a big deal now could it?

That was until a second wave launched its attack and the ship lurched forward. Hard. Fast. Unusual. The rocking was no fowl cry it screamed of terror and danger . Lightning struck the interior of the cabin reminding me of those worthless horror films the people of London had been enamoured with. Immediately I got up and snatched my hat hanging on the coat hook. My body was on alert the earlier tiredness giving way to adrenaline coursing through my body . My body felt stiff and numb but I got the inkling something was going on. But beneath all these premonitions I felt a thought rising and falling like the wave threatening to turn over Urania.

Where is she?

The ship was rocking violently now , the doors and bars banging together in a cacophony of metal clinks and gruesome noises. Through the small cabin window i could see the waves were high and slamming against the sides of the ship soaking the interior.It was raining heavily the raindrops adding to the terror of the whole situation . My mind was churning .

This was a storm. A violent heavy dreadful storm. I needed to find her. Now.

Fixing my top hat in position i marched forward and flung the door open and was met by a wall of colliding wet bodies. People. Lots of them. Screaming and cursing . The water was splashing all around and the sound of wet feet hitting the floor made dread rise in the pit of my ribcage..

Dread similar to when...

NO. no time for irrational thoughts of the past .

I glared at the people slamming past me but they were too engrossed with irrational fear to even notice. My glare I had been told was enough to make brave men running up the hills. These wretched commoners were too busy clutching each other to their chests and sobbing  a waterfall to even notice the icy stares being directed at them.

My icy stares.

Marching through the sea of colliding bodies and wet faces-soaked with tears or the rain-I couldn't tell I headed for the cabins on the other side of the ship. My eyes were on a lookout..looking for her...desperately trying to find a way and get to her!  Fast! When i got to the middle of the deck i was faced with the gravity of the situation. We were in a raging storm.

We could die.

She could die.

But I have already said this multiple times and I don't like to repeat myself I am no ordinary man. I would see to it that she survives this night. My strides were fast as i approached the other side of the ship and headed to the cabin doors. I kept my expression neutral but inside my innards were in turmoil! It felt as if someone had decided to crush my ribcage and stifle my groans of pain! And it won't stop until I see her! Until I see her safe!

Where in King Midas's name is this woman!

My behavior I noticed was bordering on the edge of....desperation . If seen form an outsider point of view it my seem ...as if I was desperate to save her. But no! It couldn't be! I am simply doing this because my honour as a gentleman forbids me from leaving a woman alone in a ship!

Really?

I believed it I forced myself to believe it with every icy fibre of my being but as my strides got faster and I neared her cabin door it seemed less and less believable. The ship was rocking even faster now! Its motions resembled a quarry quaking with humongous stones and silt .A quarry tumbling down and crushing the limbs of those who worked on it! The thought of a quarry definitely not a pleasant one but right now the ship seemed even nastier. Reaching the door I pulled my hand back and flung the door open with all the strength I could muster. The desperation I noticed had seeped into my limbs and the door was pushed back along the wall eliciting a loud clanking noise. It flung against the wall revealing the cabin room dimly lit by a lamp with its flame almost blacked out.

And there she was.

Lillian Linton.

Sleeping peacefully on the makeshift bed unaware of the storm approaching our lives.

For a moment just a moment I let myself admire her sleeping form. Let myself burn this image of her in the eye of my mind. For just that moment the storm was a dream. A faraway dream but as a lightning bolt lit the room in horrifying light and cast the room in gruesome shadows I realized how true and real it was.

Raising my voice I commanded

'Get up. A storm is coming.'

*************************************

To be continued...

Please leave your thoughts and suggestions in the comments! :)

Thank you for reading!

-Anandi