1. Let Me Dream

LET ME DREAM|

"Sugar?"

"Huh?" I looked up coming out of the haze to the young red-haired attendant, smartly dressed in a grey skirt-shirt and hair in a professional bun, standing with a bowl of sugar cubes in her hand with a gentle smile awaiting my response.

I just shook my head. She stepped back and soon disappeared behind the door. I was left alone in the room, with a cup of hot tea on the table.

She had told me that the head of marketing would be with me shortly, ten minutes have passed since and yet no sign.

I started collecting my belongings and make my way to the front door, no need to hover around. Just then clicking of heels resounded and the door opened.

In stepped the attendant again. I was sure, to tell me of the meeting being postponed. But to my surprise she was not alone. She was followed by a man not less than 6 feet.

Dressed in a fitted royal blue suit which did justice to his tousled, thick, curly brown locks. He was busy on his phone, his eyebrows furrowed together and forehead wrinkled showing his obvious confusion.

The attendant then made her way towards me and began the introduction in a professional tone,

"Miss Hobbes, this is Mr. Franklin Cavalli, The Head-Marketing-Chief here at Cavalli and Co."

"Mr. Cavalli this is Ms. Hazel Hobbes, recently graduated, she did her summer internship at Sunrise Sons and is here to apply for the position in the web-development programme."

Mr. Cavalli was still busy looking at his phone and typing away furiously.

"Mr. Cavalli?" The attendant said.

Then giving me a sorry look said with more indent,

"Mr. Cavalli?"

At this he looked up from her to me, then to her and gave a slight nod for her to get out of the room.

I was standing still, with my bag and file in hands, as I was when they entered. I couldn't think of anything else more appropriate.

As the attendant, whose name was Rachel, shut the door, Mr. Franklin sat down on the chair opposite the couch I was formerly on, assessed me head to toe with his cool blue eyes and seeing the bag and files in my hand inquired,

"Going somewhere?"

Seeing him, so relaxed and unfazed at the fact that one of his employee just raised her voice at him, I looked from him to the files in my hand to the door and then making up my mind, settled my bag once more on the couch, sat down and shook my head,

"No sir!"

***************

"How did it go?"

My ever enthusiastic roommate asked opening the door to our shared condominium. Removing my scarf and taking off my coat I let out a weak

"Fine."

Her face turned down for a second, but thinking something she began again in her excited tone,

"So, Svet is throwing a party for the 5th birthday of her pooch tonight. She tried ringing you, but your phone was off. She literally begged me to get you to come, you haven't met her and the others in ages. So you're coming right?"

I sighed a little and was about to say something when she continued, as we made our way towards my bedroom,

"And I know you're going to say no, so consider this. Tomorrow is Friday, you're probably gonna get your acceptance letter by Saturday, which I'm sure you'll get. But you can't begin till Monday, which means you're free till Sunday! And for once, not for me, not for Svet, not for her pooch, but for you! Get out and enjoy, this much work is injurious!"

It wasn't the first time Audrey had given me a long, tidy speech about life out of work, I almost felt bad for her. She didn't deserve to be stuck with my broody self.

But I just couldn't bring myself to enjoy and be happy after what had happened. Atleast not this soon.

"No, Audrey. I'm sorry. I really am."

My reply was same as always. And her reaction was the same too. With an angry huff and a childish feet stamp she made her way towards her room.

I should look for another place soon. Maybe if we weren't living together she would not feel obliged to get me to go out with her everytime.

With Audrey out of the house, I was alone. With my copy of "How to kill a mocking bird" in a hand and cup of tea in another, I settled in the bed. Comfortably cozy under the warm blankets sipping my tea,when my phone went off.

I thought it was probably Audrey or any of the other guys at the party drunk-dialling me to come and enjoy with them, so I was surprised when it was a Private number. I picked it up on the third ring,

"Hello?"

The voice on the other side had me rooted to the spot. The same depth, the same gruffness, the same pant, the same effect. That ride, that night, that moment all flashed before my eyes. Thinking I hadn't heard him, he repeated,

"Sugar?"