Press Play

LiviieMarie

HERES MY SUBMISSION! I'm so excited! And I'm really proud of this so I hope you like it!
✦❉✧❉✦❉✧❉✧❉✦❉✧❉✦❉✧❉✧❉

Excuse me?

Where am I?

Can someone please tell me where I . . .

I can't remember . . .

What's happening?

There was a loud buzz noise. Then a high pitch sound. And another buzz. My chest burned and my whole body felt achey. There was a fast beeping sound.

What's going on?

"Will he be okay?! Why isn't he waking up?!"

"Will you please get out of here?!"

"Please, You have to stand back. We're going everything we can!"

"James!"

Im here. I-

What happened?

{6 hours earlier}

"It's not something I'm exactly open about, I guess," I was saying to my friend, and also my roommate, who was sitting on my kitchen counter. Her hair was tousled from having scratched her head over and over for the latest minutes our conversation. "But you?" She scratched yet again the head that couldn't be wrapped around my confession. "You're gay?" She huffed and looked to the side. "I just . . . You don't seem the type."
"Type?" I raised an eyebrow, taking out a carton of milk. "You mean the sterotype? Gee. Thanks for the love and acceptance." I drank straight out of the carton. It annoys the shit out of her but "why waste a cup" is my logic. I screwed the lid back on and put it back. Luckily she was took distracted too distracted disgusted. "Why are you so shocked? I thought you'd be chill. You weren't this surprised when Ashley came out as bi."
"That was different. She wasn't living with me. I see you everyday. Why didn't I ever notice?" She leaned over and touched her finger tips to her forehead. The tone in her voice was like she was beating herself up. Her eyes were down toward her lap but flicking around as she processed.
"Now you know. And anyway, Yeah. So I'll be back around 9 ish is my guess. Do you think you can have my back in case it's a total flop? Like make something up to come get me?" I went the mirror to straighten the collar of my brand new shirt. This guy, he was my coworker for a while until I was promoted. But I had a crush on him and my only reason for not making a move before now was because I didn't want to be dating anyone I worked closely with. Now that I was in a whole other department, he was fair game.
In the mirror, I saw my roommate perk up finally with a smile. "Definitely. Text me and tell me if he's a complete weirdo. I got your back." She winked playfully at me and gave my a thumbs up to which I smiled and turned around. "Great." I grabbed my coat that was draped over the back of our couch and flung it over my shoulders in one quick motion.
"James," I heard her small voice behind me. I turned around and she slid down from the counter, looking seriously at the ground. "Just be careful."
Her brown puppy dog eyes looked up at me and the corner of my mouth lifted along with my had to pat her head. "Of course," I said softly, "I'll see you later, Maddie."

✦❉✧❉✦❉✧❉✧❉✦❉✧❉✦❉✧❉✧❉

"Does anyone know what happened to this poor guy? This head injury is . . . catastrophic," woman in a white coat and scrubs said, flipping through the chart on her clipboard.