Chapter 10 - Truth Be Told

Start from the beginning

I envied their relationship. They had it all. A successful marriage, great kids, and basically perfect health. That was all I wanted in life.

I dragged my depressed self up the stairs and back into my room, determined to look good today and go out. It was the beginning of October, and it was starting to get cold and windy.

I threw on black jeans, black boots, and a dark grey sweater with a purple scarf. I put my jacket on top, and left out the door. I went to the stores that were a couple of blocks down.

They were all crazy, calling out to shoppers. The Market was always busy, and bursting with joy. People were calling me over, salespeople, but one caught me in particular. It wasn't anything to buy, but it was a fortune telling booth.

I never believed in that kind of stuff, but I thought "why the hell not?" I walked to the psychic lady's booth, and waited for her to assist me.

"You want a reading?" She asked in a gruff, low voice. It wasn't scary, more like.. Luring. I nodded, and she motioned me into some room connected to the booth in the back.

I knew all this stuff was lies, and it wasn't true. But why not take a shot? It would be interesting.

We sat down on opposite sides of a circular table. There was a big crystal ball, and I stared at it.

"Just for show. No real." She muttered, and I cracked a smile. Well then.

She motioned for my left palm, and glanced at it for a few seconds. She traced a couple of the lines on my palm, and I tried my hardest not to giggle since it tickled so much.

"Ah.." She trailed off. "You were in love, hmm?" She spoke, tracing a line on my ring finger.

I nodded. "Yes. I see. Right here." She tapped on a random fine line.

"These lines here," she said, "means you have happiness coming your way." She pointed to the middle of my palms.

"And here, it says that you will be very successful."

"But, you won't get what you want." She said, "because of these three lines." She pointed to the side of my hand.

"Anyway, your time is up." She said, tapping the watch on her wrist. I got up and she led me away from the room, and back to the market.

I didn't really feel change, since I never believed in fortune tellers. Everyone has been in love, it was just a regular question that she asks all the time.

I strolled around, looking at the different varieties of clothing, shoes, purses. But then something caught my eye. Or some-ones.

It was a couple. It appears that they were fighting. She was yelling, pounding on his chest, and he was rubbing her back, trying to soothe her. It was Tyler. And that same red headed woman I saw him with when I first came back.

I felt a tightening in my chest. It hurt. They seemed really loving. But.. If they were in love, then why'd he kiss me? He was such a player.

Once a player, always a player.

He looked up, and finally I saw the frustration in his face. He looked around, and his eyes caught mine. I immediately looked away. I turned, and walked the opposite way. I didn't want to see that. It was too heartbreaking.

I trailed my footsteps on the hard dirt. This market was placed somewhat in a field. It was gorgeous.

I ended up buying a few things, but I just couldn't stop thinking about who that girl with the red hair was. I had never seen her before. Actually, I haven't even seen her face yet. Only her hair, and it was similar to many redheads these days.