A Tip to Writing Emotion

I was busy writing and I was constantly saying my character grinned, or smiled, frowned etc. And I found myself wondering, how the hell to I mix this up a bit, without stating the obvious. Now if you think I’m daft for asking, then don’t read on, if not then welcome. This won’t be a crazy long insert, just something I thought someone might find helpful in making oomphing up their dialogue tags and emotions up a bit.

I have a few tips I do. And you can do it to, so no excuse.

First let’s say this, sometimes saying he smiled sufficed but when you start to say that too much then you’re in trouble but what if you don’t know how to play it up by simply using synonyms of the word.

You can use dialogue, body langue, actions. I’ve found that body langue is the perfect way, you don’t need to say he smiled¸ rather Google how the mouth works when it smiles and use that information as a description, like the age old line: the corners of his mouth titled upwards. Applies for all emotion. Look up what people do, or think about what you do, when you’re in a situation like that.

Use thoughts.

Instead of: She frowned at what a jerk he was being

Try: What a jerk!  “Excuse me, I’m being a what?”

Use external senses to reinforce an emotion:

Heightened emotions can heighten the senses, so perceptions might be stronger. Fear can induce a hyper-awareness, love can make things feel more sensual. Fear is often shown by how the stomach or throat reacts, but what about sounds or smells? Ears might ring, or things might sound distant and muffled. Scents might trigger memories that evoke the emotion you want to show.

Try: It wasn’t just footsteps behind her–the stench of cheap cologne, stale beer, and desperation crept ever closer. She picked up her pace.

Instead of: Fear made her quicken her steps. Someone was following her.

Use body language:

Facial expressions can be masked, a lot of the times, but a person’s body language can’t always be masked, use that to your advantage. For example:  Crossed legs or arms signals a nervous, submissive, negative or defensive attitude. I find that google has many ways to show you knew way to use emotions to your advantage. I’ll give everyone some links at the bottom page.

Lastly was a tip I read somewhere that really made sense.

He grinned = the corners of his mouth turned up.

Frown = Her eyebrows pulled together/her forehead scrunched up.

I know these are simple examples but you can use it for anything, it will help you to change things up a bit.

Websites:

http://www.autocrit.com/editing/library/body-language-basics/ (This just gives a better idea of how to use different facial features and body langue)

http://www.macmillandictionary.com/thesaurus-category/british/Words-used-to-describe-facial-expressions (Words that are used to describe different facial features, this will also broaden your vocabulary)

http://users.elite.net/runner/eld/tone.html (words to use to describe tone)

There are a lot of websites and help out there and if I said it once I’ll say it again, use Google to your advantage and soon, you’ll start to copy less and become skilled in it yourself. You just have to think out of the box. :D Hope this silly ramblings helped, a bit.