Chapter Five

Chapter Five
©Bethany Shay Porteous

*Unedited

Poking my head outside of the bedroom door was unnerving. This house was not mine and it never would be. That being said, I wanted to still have a look around and see if there were any other escape opportunities I could use to my advantage when Kade wasn't watching me. It couldn't be a fortress...yet the feeling of dread in my gut had me believing that was in fact what Kade's home was.

I had managed to find some leggings under the pile of wasted expense and a comfortable tank top, however after looking at myself in the mirror I added an oversized jumper to the outfit in the hope that it would distract Kade from my legs. They looked damn fine in these leggings and I realized that everything that was bought for me was going to accentuate my figure. How I ended up with a huge hoodie in the mix of those clothes surprised me but it had no scent attached to it, so I assumed it was safe to wear.

The floor was cold beneath my bare feet and I could hear their silent padding as I walked softly down the hall, eyeing off all the doors I passed and inhaling carefully in case Kade decided to surprise me.

How many rooms did this damn place have?

This pack had considerable wealth which just proved how disgustingly selfish Kade was. He had land and money so why launch an attack on a pack that had so much less than him?

I had to stop myself from thinking about my pack, if I did that then the faces of my parents, my sister...Ava, the Alpha...all those people I cared for would crack me and I couldn't crack in the open. I refused to show that vulnerability.

"Well look what we have," a cold voice hissed. "The Apha's Luna."

I stared at the tall brunette in front of me, her long brown hair in huge waves and her body clad in some sort of material she probably called clothing. She wore huge heels which made her way taller than she should be and I had to inwardly roll my eyes at the way she sneered at me and acted superior.

Was this going to be my first confrontation with one of Kade's bedmates?

She was silent, staring at me as if her words were supposed to evoke some kind of reaction from me. I stared at her blankly, waiting for something else to fall out of her oversized mouth.

"Are you stupid?" she scoffed. "Why are you just staring at me?"

"I'm waiting for you to continue whatever tirade you were about to start," I told her. "Please by all means continue and I will pretend to listen."

"Ha, you have a mouth on you. Look, the Alpha has not mated or marked you so you're fair game. Any of us can challenge you and no one could object to it." The way her lips moved when she spoke distracted me, they wobbled slightly and curled at the corners. Was that normal?

Shaking my head I sighed tiredly. "Why me?"

"Excuse me?" weird lips scoffed.

"Look I get it," I told her. "You slept with Kade; you answered his every need and were probably promised the Luna title – just like every other woman he bedded here. Now you're feeling threatened because you realized you gave up your purity for a man who wasn't your mate and when you actually do meet him, he'll want nothing to do with you and your used vag-"

That was enough to set her off. One wild scream and a violent slap across my face later and I lost it.

I think she expected me to fall and cry like a wounded bird but it only served to fuel the rage and anger that I was only barely keeping a lid on. I jumped at her so quickly I must have surprised her. I wrapped my legs tightly around her waist and clutched onto her throat, my wolf coming out as I growled. My nails elongated and I could feel her own clawing at my back as she tried to get me off her.