Twenty Three

Emma ran all across Storybrooke. She was scared, her heart pounding, nose and hands bleeding. She still felt sick, in fact she felt worse. Every breath, every cough, it was like fire.
She didn't know where to go.
Then she remembered Graham, who told her that if she ever needed anything, he would be at the sheriff station. If she ever was in trouble, if she was stuck, or something happened with David, he would be there for her. So the little girl ran there.
She rapped on the door, until he came running, unsure of what was happening. His face fell when he saw Emma. "Oh God! What's happened to you!? Come on, come inside. Come on. It's okay. I won't hurt you."
Emma followed him shakily, and ended up in the main sheriff's office. Graham sat her on the table, and grabbed some tissues, clamping them on her nose, making Emma squirm away.
"Emma. You have to let me sort this. Okay? So just hold still." Graham said calmly yet firmly.
Emma did as he said, and stayed still while he stopped her bleeding nose, and wiped away the blood from her cuts on her hands. Graham noticed that her shoulder was bleeding too, and since Emma was in a vest top, he could easily clean the wound, and place a large sticky bandage over it, then bandaged her hands, and stuck a little plaster over a cut on her arm.
On the outside, he was so calm. Comforting Emma, doing everything by the book. But on the inside, he was angry. Because he knew that this didn't happen by accident, or from her tripping up.
"Emma? I know you're scared, but I need you to answer some questions. Okay?"
Emma nodded, trembling.
"Emma... Who hurt you?" He asked, not really wanting to know the answer. Emma didn't reply. Then Graham asked softly, "Did David hurt you?"
And Emma nodded. Because it was true; David had hurt her. Graham's jaw clenched, his fists too. "Okay. Okay, Emma, I've got to call social services."
Emma shook her head, tears falling down her cheeks. She was scared to talk. Scared to not talk. Scared.
"I'm sorry Emma. I have to. I can't let you stay with someone who is hurting you."
Emma just kept shaking her head. Graham made the call, Emma crying the whole time.
"Okay, you need to get all checked out. Make sure those cuts don't need stitches. And I don't like the sound of that cough." Graham looked at her again and held a hand up to her forehead, taking her temperature. "Kid, you're burning up." He exclaimed. "Okay. Let's get you checked out at the hospital."
Graham grabbed his keys and held Emma's hand as they walked out of the sheriff's station. Emma was trembling, shivering, so Graham took off his coat, and put it on Emma, the word SHERIFF on the back.
"Hey, it suits you kiddo. Sheriff Swan." Graham joked. Emma didn't respond, just desperately clung to his hand.
By the time they had finished the short walk to the car, Emma was so sick and so exhausted, she collapsed.
"Emma?" Graham asked worried, "EMMA?!"
"I'm okay." Emma murmured. "It's just a cough."
"Oh fuck." Graham muttered. He picked her up in his arms and went to the car, driving her to the hospital, definitely over the speed limit.
Graham stormed into the hospital, carrying Emma in his arms. She was limp and in pain, coughing and spluttering. "I need some help please!" Graham shouted, bringing a few nurses and a bed over.
"She has a fever, in and out of contiousness, awful cough, bed chest, you know, some difficulty breathing, just been brought out of an abusive home, and the investigation is ongoing as we speak." Graham explained.
"Pneumonia probably." One nurse said to another. "Developer from a small chest infection."
Graham could get David for neglect too, if that was how the pneumonia developed.
Soon enough, Emma was in a hospital bed, looking like a broken doll.
"I want my daddy." Emma whispered tearfully, speaking into an oxygen mask. "I want my daddy."
But her daddy couldn't come.

For those of you that haven't followed already, I have made an Instagram account linked to this account. My username is the same (mrskillianjonesx) and it would mean a lot to follow. I will follow back and if you message me I will reply! I love making new online friends (that probably sounds really creepy lol 😂😂) Thoughts on this chapter?
Emmy xx