Eighteen

"Why do I have to go? I want to stay with you. Please. Please?" Emma begged, clinging onto David's arm, the car parked outside of Regina's house.
"Emma. You know you can't come. Please Em, you're breaking my heart. Please Emmy, be good. For me?"
"Please David. Please. Please please please." She cried softly, then cried even more. "Please? Please? Daddy? Please?" She tried.
"Emma, princess, please. Don't do this. Just... Just... Please Emma."
"Why do you want to leave me? Where are you going?"
"I'm going... I'm going for a little night away. Just one night. Please Emma. Please," he begged, "please Em."
"Why can't I stay with Miss Blanchard?"
"Because... Because Miss Blanchard is your teacher. She can't look after you for the night." He stuttered.
"Ruby? Ruby let's me watch telly and eat cake and chocolate and she even let me watch a grown up film that had kissing in it!"
"And that's exactly why you aren't staying with Ruby!" David mimicked with identical enthusiasm.
"Please. Dad? Daddy?"
"No. Don't use that. Come on now Emma. Come on." David freed his arm, and managed to detangle himself enough that he got out of his seat and of of the car. He opened Emma's car door, and undid her seatbelt. Emma curled up into a ball, refusing to get out. David tried to barging with her, offering her candy and chocolates and ice cream and a new teddy or doll, but she still refused to move, shaking with tears and fear.
David sighed exhasperatedly, then scooped her up, ignoring her wiggling and kicking legs. He held her with one hand, and picked up her rucksack with the other, then grabbed her her blanket. She threw it off and away from herself, but David ignored her, and simply picked it up in silence, not paying any attention to her.
He strode over to the door, and knocked twice, hard. Very quickly, the door was opened by Regina, who, over the top of her posh and pristine buisness clothes, was wearing a flour covered apron. "Hello, hello, come in." She smiled, stepping aside and welcoming them.
Emma was still thrashing around in David's one strong arm, and Regina had never looked more terrified. "Hello." David sighed, trying- and failing- to sound cheerful. "Emma, say hello please."
Emma cried louder, screaming a little. "She's fine," David half shouted nonchalantly over her, "just ignore it, she'll be fine once I'm gone."
"Emma, I'm just finishing making apple turnovers, do you want to help?" Regina asked kindly and softly.
"I hate apple!" Emma sobbed hyserically.
"Will she be okay with me? Or do you want to keep her with you?" Regina asked awkwardly.
"Oh no, it's fine. You're welcome to her." David joked. Then his voice became stern. "Emma Swan. Stop this crying now. Stop being silly. You will see me tomorrow. Please, just be good, okay? You can't always be with me. This is good for you. Now please be a good girl and stop crying. Please."
Emma immediately became quiet, half scared by his harsh tone and words. "Good girl. Now, you're going to be okay with Regina. I promise. She's a very lovely lady. Do you promise to be a good girl?"
Emma nodded scared, her nose snotty and eyes teary.
"Okay. Okay, can I have a kiss goodbye?"
Emma thought about shaking her head, but then gave him a huge hug after kissing his cheek. David held her close and kissed her hair. "Okay. Here you go. Go to Regina. Good girl."
David craftily handed Emma into Regina's arms, her holding Emma on her hip. Emma hid her wet face into Regina's (obviously expencive) blouse, as David gave her one last kiss. He had already told Regina everything about bed times and eating habits, so he could get away quickly, to upset Emma less.
Emma started sobbing again, silent ones that shook her whole body. "I love you, my princess Swan." David whispered, then left before Emma could see his tears and get even more upset.
Slowly, he got into the car and sat crying for a few minutes. He had been too harsh. She couldn't handle a few hours away from him, never mind a whole night. But it was unhealthy for them always to be together, and she needed to get used to other people. He drove away, not out of town, but to the large building Emma hated. Then he reached the front desk, and his hands were sweaty and his stomach in a knot.
He steadied himself ten said the practiced words. "Hello. My name is David Nolan. I'm booking myself in for overnight surgery."