Chapter II

Today I am finally able to open my eyes......Mentally. I now know that I am in fact, not dead. Although, along with my own news, the news I heard that had to do with my mother was that she was alive and well, despite her broken collar bone, ribs, and minor concussion. But I was pronounced dead during surgery. After the doctor and a few nurses managed to get my blood flow back to normal, fix my pulse, get me to breathing again, and pronounce me alive and healing again, said that I was in a non-medical induced coma.

  Which means that I would not be able to physically open my eyes for quite some time. But, even though I can't really technically see anything, I can still hear what people are talking about.

And mostly, to be honest, it's all a lot about me.

I wasn't really able to signify to anyone that I could hear them. Especially, since the only words I can get out of my mouth are just dry weakened noises.

The only sense of mine that is working well is my hearing. Even though my touch isn't there, I can feel it in my gut that I'll be able to feel that too. Except, you know, I can't feel anything physically.

But I really thought I was going to die. I like the fact that I'm living, but since I haven't heard anything about my father, I can only assume the absolute worst. Even though what I want to expect is the absolute complete best.

Suddenly, I get this feeling. Well, without actually feeling it other than in my face. My eyelids slowly flutter open.

I can see.

Holy fuck, I can see!!!

I. CAN. FUCKING. SEE. OUT. OF. MY. EYES.

But everything is still just white.

The walls are white. The lights are white. My skin is a pale, porcelain white. And so is everything else. For a second, I think I'm going color blind, but then.

I see my mother wheel herself into my room in a cream and silver colored wheelchair.

Nope... I can see colors.

She carries her lunch tray in her arms, which see drops in the few moments that she sees me, her glass making a pang noise on the tiled floor.

She screams.

But what I see on her face is a mix of happiness and.....horror?

"Mom," I say with a dry mouth.

"Auburn, is that really you?"

"Yeah, Mom, it's me. I'm really here.And I need water."

My mother wheels herself over to my hospital bed, pressing the nurses button as she approaches.She practically beats the damn thing to death until I tell her that it's okay to stop, because a nurse comes in with the same expression on her face as my mother when she first saw me. But she doesn't scream. She just stares.

"Yo- your eyes," She exclaims, "What's​ wrong with them?"

   I don't know what she's talking about, and my mother and the nurse start arguing over something that I don't quite understand.

Something about my eyes.

Something else about my currently unstable condition.

And my mom starts calling for a different nurse, who just happens to have the same reaction as the first.

And then she hands me a mirror.

Woah....

Holy crap.

My eyes.

They are BLOOD red.

I look at my mom, and throw the mirror across the room and as it hits the wall, it smashes all into a million bits of shattered pieces.

   "Sweetie, are you okay?"

"Mom, what's wrong with my eyes. Do you see it too, or am I just crazy?"

My mother's mouth just sits there, hanging open, her jaw on the floor.

I'm speechless, and as it seems, so is everybody else.

The silence that fills the room is unbearable. It's so dense that it makes me want to get up and run until I can't run away anymore. But I know that I can't​ because if I try, I might just be weak enough to die. Right there on the street.

After all the nurses have left, my mother hangs back and just looks at me, a blank stare on her face.

" So tell me, Auburn Grey, after all this has happened, who you think you are."