Chapter Sixteen

"It's not broken?" Ella sat up in the guest bed, wrapped in a silk nightgown so soft she couldn't feel it whisper against her skin as she moved.

"No, milady. The ankle is sprained, but you should be able to walk on it within the week without assistance." The doctor wiped his hands on a square of linen. "Antonia, apply the poultice every four hours to ensure it doesn't dry out."

Antonia bobbed her head. "Yes, sir."

"I'm stuck in bed for a week?" Ella asked.

"No," the doctor replied, "As long as you're careful, you can stroll around the gardens. They're quite peaceful this time of year, and the exercise will be good for your recovery."

I could use some peace. But not today. Today I want to stay in bed and rest. "It's been a long day," she said, "but I'll go out." Tomorrow.

"Be sure you do." Giving a brief nod, the doctor opened the door and immediately dropped into a low bow. "Your Majesties and Your Highness."

Ella pushed herself up further on the pillows. "I–Your Majesties" What do I say? Why are they here? Did Grey tell them...of course he did. They're his parents. She swallowed. "Your Majesties, I'm so pleased to meet you."

"Ella, this is Queen Alyeria and King Leopold. Mother, Father, this is Ella, my chosen bride."

His what? Did he ask me? Does he need to? She summoned a smile as Grey and his parents walked into the room to stand by her bed.

The two royals were the most beautiful undead Ella had ever seen. The rotting flesh and purple bruising were perfect. Grey, on the other hand, was entirely himself.

The undead king beetled his eyebrows. "Where do you come from, young miss, and what are your bloodlines?"

"She is not a broodmare, Father." Grey reached out and took Ella's hand in his. "Her bloodlines do not matter to me."

Grey's defense gave Ella courage. "I have no royal bloodlines, Your Majesty. My father was of the merchant class."

It was the queen's turn to speak. "Was of the merchant class? He has died, then?"

Ella took a deep breath. "I believe he was murdered shortly after he married my stepmother."

"Those are serious charges," King Leopold stated. "Where is your proof of such a crime?"

"I don't have any, Your Majesty. Except...there were bones in the cellar where I was–I was kept."

"Confined, you mean," Grey clarified.

"Our kingdom contains some less than desirable undead. What is the family name of your stepmother?" Queen Alyeria asked.

"Beaumont," Ella replied.

"The Beaumonts have long had a history of skirting the edges of acceptable behavior," King Leopold said. "This requires investigation."

"Does—does that mean you believe me?"

"It means we are committed to keeping our population safe from those whose actions might harm them," Queen Alyeria replied. "You mentioned your stepmother. What is your family name?"

"Adler," Ella replied. "My full name is Ella Rose Adler."

The queen gasped. "You are Phillip's daughter?"

"You knew my Papa?" Ella's eyes widened.

"Of course we knew him," King Leopold chimed in. "He is the one who saved us."