Chapter Fourteen

The small black buttons refused to cooperate with Ella's desire to dress quickly. They began underneath her arm and marched their way down to the embroidery circling the edge of the black taffeta gown. Surely they don't fasten all the way down to the bottom. She began to hook the buttons into the buttonholes as swiftly as she was able, her fingers tangling in the spider silk of the gown's train. The gown's strapless bodice hugged her torso, while the skirt flared out and down to the obsidian glass slippers, the silk train so light as to be nearly non-existent. It hung down her back and bunched onto the floor of the wagon in a mass of shimmering black. She wrapped the long veil around her head and face and pulled the elbow-length black silk gloves on. She was a mystery swathed entirely in black. Gregory's right. No one will know who I am. It's perfect.

"Ella, come outside. It's quite safe, there's no one here."

Holding up the train with one hand, she stepped outside.

"Turn around," Gregory instructed. "Look at the wagon. It's fit for a queen."

Ella turned to face the once plain wagon. Through the black veil, she saw the wood panels had been transformed; the brightly colored walls she had last seen facing inward were now the outer walls, and two Gypsies were harnessed to the front, the white feathery hair on their manes, tails, and fetlocks shimmering with a light that had nothing to do with the newly risen moon. That's incredible. I wonder how he managed that in the time it took me to dress.

"Your father would be so proud. I wish he could see you tonight." Gregory patted Ella's arm.

Tears blurred her eyes. She blinked them away. "I miss him every day."

"As do I. He was a good man. Are you ready?"

She frowned. "Am I riding inside or on the top with you?"

He laughed. "Definitely inside. What kind of an impression would you make if you arrived seated up here with me?"

Her heart began pounding. "I think I'm ready. No, I'm definitely ready." She nodded. "Yes, I'm ready." Climbing up into the wagon, she seated herself on one of the wooden benches and folded her hands into her lap.

"Pull the long velvet cord with your left hand." The tinker's voice was muffled, but Ella heard him clearly.

Tugging on the cord, Ella gasped when the tapestry at her elbow rolled itself up, revealing an open window."This is amazing," she chattered nervously. "How did you change the look of the wagon so completely?"

"The Romani taught me," he said.

Ella braced herself as the wagon began to move. "I always thought the Romani was a myth."

"They have passed through our lands from time to time," the old man said. "But they were born with itchy feet; they never stay in one place for very long."

"Did you live with them?" Ella shifted on the seat, smoothing her hands over her gown.

"No, but I did travel with them for a while. They're fascinating people."

"Interesting," Ella murmured, not really paying attention. "How far away is the castle?"

"The next town over," Gregory replied. "It could be walked, if you knew the way, but that wouldn't be appropriate tonight. Rest yourself. It shouldn't be too much longer."

Ella leaned forward, staring at the barren terrain. I have no memory of what it was before now, she thought wistfully. I'm sure it was full of wildflowers, though, and all sorts of growing things. Not dying grass and decaying trees.

The wagon moved swiftly along the bumpy road, and before she knew it, the land began changing to a lush green she had only seen in her earliest memories. "Are we on the king's land yet?"