Chapter 12

" Watch it man " I yelled from the window.

Conrad is looking at me in sock. " Belly, don't be so rude! "

" I am not rude, but this man can't drive. Don't you see? " 

" Driving is not that easy. Don't judge people for their mistakes. "

" Hey, I can drive too. Don't tell me that driving is that hard, cause I'm a driver too. "

" Classic Belly. You don't understand. For him, it's his job. "

I frowned at Conrad. " It could be my job too. I could also be a driver " 

He laughed at me. " You, could be a driver. " 

" Yeah! " I emphasized. 

" Like a driver driver? A truck driver? " he wonders.

" Yes " 

" Like this one? " He pointed at the man in the truck next to us. 

I observed him. He was nearly fifty. He was really fat and he had a black beard. In his mouth I could see a cigarette butt. His clothes looked so dirty. 

" Nah, I didn't mean this kind of driver. He is probably transferring drugs or something. I would be the zoo driver. You know, the one who transfers the animals from the zoo to the the wild. I could transfer kangaroos and tigers "

Conrad smiles a little bit with my imagination and adds: " You know that kangaroos actually live in Australia "

" Of course, but I suppose that the zoo probably has some too. "

He keeps smiling. " Whatever you say "

It's been like two hours on the road. Conrad's driving, even though he knows I wanted to. We agreed to switch in the middle of the journey. I'm sitting next to him trying to take a nap.

" Where are we now? " I asked after some time.

" We're in Bridgeport. We are still one hour away from New York. Wanna have a stop for lunch?

" That would be nice " I said and I realized I was hungry. " Cheeseburgers would be nice, to be exact " I added. 

We headed to the nearest McDonald's. It was located really close to the highroad, so the travelers could stop there for lunch. 

" A double cheeseburger without pickles and a big Mac and two colas, please " I ordered for both of us.

We sat near the window. Ι enjoyed my meal and so did Conrad. We didn't talk much.

" ...And you didn't tell me, which hotel did you book. " said Conrad.

I didn't know what to say. " Um, when did I tell you that I booked a hotel? "

He frowned. " What do you mean? We're going to New York city without knowing where we are going to stay? Are you nuts or something? "

" I never said that we're staying in the street Con. We're staying at relatives "

" Huh? Do we have any relatives in New York? "

" Um... yeah " I said.

" Wait! We don't have any relatives in New York! Belly you're hiding something from me "

I thought that the best thing was to tell the truth. " We're staying at Jeremiah's "

He looked at me so mad. " Are you kidding me? You can't be serious! "

" I am "

" Come on Belly, we talked about this a month ago. What the hell? "

" Conrad, I told you that we will go to meet them, no matter what you say! " Oh my god, he has forgotten even the fact that Jeremiah lives in New York. 

" Does Jeremiah know about this? " asked Conrad.

" Well, I suppose. If Maggie has told him. "

" Who's Maggie? " 

I looked at him frowning. " Jeri's girlfriend. Don't you remember? "

" That was a month ago. How am I supposed to remember so many details about something I'm not interested in? "

" Oh my god, let it go. We're just going to visit them "

" And maybe Jeremiah doesn't have any idea! I'm sorry Belly but we can't go. We'll go back to Boston "

" We're not going back. We have spent so much gas. And also, your kid wanna meet his uncle " I added and winked at Conrad.

" You can't do that! " he said in anger.

I came closer to him and felt him breathing so fast. Then I gave him a quick kiss and I whispered to his ear: " Believe me, I can "