Chapter 6

It was spring when Susannah died. Specifically, it was May. How quickly can a nice, warm day turn into a dark and horrible nightmare? Well, it can happen really easily. Just with a call.

I cried so much about her death. She was the kind of mother I wished I had. I didn't expect that she would die. I was so hopeful that she would " stay ". Even though I knew it, I was lying to myself. I knew that I was lying to myself. It was hard. It's still hard to know that she's " gone ". She's " gone ". After Susannah's death that verb has a different meaning. It's final. It can't change. And this was way too hard for me.

The day of her funeral was one of the most horrible days of my life. Not only because of her death. Because of my behavior. I behaved horribly to Conrad. I hated myself for that. I was the worst person in the world. But now everything is fine. I am here with Conrad, I can stand everything. It's been seven years since her death. I'm twenty-four now. But I can remember everything, even the smallest detail of that day.

' After dad left the room, I lied down on the bed and started crying again. I was the worst person god has ever made. I said terrible things to Conrad. How could he ever forgive me? Or worst, how would Susannah ever forgive me for hurting her son that bad? In my mind, I asked her to forgive me. To forgive me for all the mess that I created the day of her funeral. And mostly, I asked her to forgive me for hurting Conrad. I didn't want to. I swear I didn't. My tears dried up. I wanted to be sure that she'd forgive me, that I made a promise. " Me, Isabel Conklin, I swear not to hurt your boys ever again. And I also swear that I'll find a way to bring you back ". Unfortunately, the time I made this promise, I didn't know how much pain I would cause to her boys. But I knew that I couldn't bring her back. '

' One day, me and Jeremiah visited an old woman who lived in Cousins. He was ten and I was nine. The other kids had told us that her house was haunted. That was the reason we went there. I don't really remember how we got inside her house, but I remember that she gave us candy. She also told us a story that I didn't really understand. But now I do. It was the story of a woman who wasn't afraid of death. She was telling everybody that when she'd die, someone else would be born. And that's what happened.Her daughter gave birth to a little girl. The girl was named after that woman. And that's how the story ends. I didn't catch the meaning then, but now I understand. '

Now, I'm inside a white room lying down on the bed. Conrad is sitting next to me. He smiles. He looks so happy. I think that it's the first time I see him so happy after Susannah's death. With his hand, he is holding my hand and with the other one, he is feeling my stomach. Seven years ago, I wouldn't even think that I could keep my promise.. But now I do. I'm bringing back Susannah.