Chapter 28: Ringed Happy Luck of Ours

Start from the beginning

After some seconds, I shook my head and brought my phone back to my ear. “Hello, Andrew?”

His silence unnerved me. So I checked the phone and saw that he ended the call ten minutes ago. “You stupid Boba! Didn’t you want to hear the conversation?”

 Angrily, I buried the stinkin’ phone on my coat’s pocket and again, re-grabbed the bags, heading towards the pavement. The only thing that I needed was a good Samaritan cab.

“Riley?”

What now?!

“What?” I snapped, and quickly regretted being so hotheaded. “Hi.”

With a grin on her glossy lips, she stepped closer, holding a shopping bag on her elbow. “Hello, Riley. I haven’t seen you in a long time.”

“Well, Lora, actually it’s a couple of days. How are you?”

Ignoring my question, her eyes fell on my bags. “I see you’re busy. Do you need any help?”

“No,” I chuckled, “I was just taking a cab to head over the office.”

“Do you mind sharing the cab with me?”

And it only took her a step closer to the pavement for a stupid cab to stop. “I don’t mind,” I chuckled, walking behind her. “How do you manage to stop a cab so easy? It took me five minutes to stop one.”

“Well, when you’re beautiful everything’s easy,” she replied over her shoulder, opening the cab door and slipping in.

Her words clogged me. Was she implying something? Now the real questions roamed my mind: Why am I talking to Lora when she dated Andrew? Is she saying that I’m ugly? No, Riley, she’s just stating the truth. But she has a lot of makeup and I don’t wear any…which makes me awesome. And remember what Boba said to you, ‘Gosh, you’re beautiful.’

“Riley, aren’t you going to come in?”

Shaking my head, I forced a smile and joined her, replying, “You know, you’re right. But what’s better? A cab or the best man on earth?”

With that, I yanked the door closed and snapped my sight to her; a big smile growing on my face. Her stained eyes broadened before a knowing grin softened her shocked features. “Maybe you’re right. A good man is always needful.”

“Of course I am,” I replied in a sing-song tone. Stiffened, the driver asked for directions and both of us said different ones at the same time. “I hope you don’t mind that I drop off first.”

“No, I don’t. Surely, Andy’s waiting for you,” she causally said. “Say, Riley, who was that gorgeous man that kissed you?”

Stunned, I shifted on the seat and shook my head. “He didn’t kiss me! He’s an associate. Jason MacPherson.”

“But he did kiss you. I saw it with my own eyes. Is he some friend?”

The way she said it foamed within me an explosion of lava. “Excuse me?! I thought you knew the difference between a kiss in the cheek and a real kiss. It doesn’t hurt to actually be reserved, does it?”

“I’m sorry, Riley. I thought you were dating him.” She looked down at her lap, showing true repentance. “Andy hasn’t said anything about you so I assumed that you were dating another person.”

“What?” I gaped at her in disbelief. “Maybe you don’t know but Andrew and I—“

“I know. I was just joking,” she playfully hit me on the arm. “Well, congratulations for both of you. I’m glad you two are back together. Maybe you could present me that man named Jason so we could go on a double date.”