Chapter 26: Soppy Hearts

Nervous.

I was a wreck of emotions as I stood in the heart of a playground. Draping my sticky and dirty hair in a ponytail, I heaved in a shaky breath of hope as my body shook from the heated cold the night blustered.

For the first time in my life, I was going to be corny, mushy and stupid. But it’s going to be worth it. I told myself over and over again. Shuddering from the cold wind that announced the snowfall’s proximity, I couldn’t help but smile up at the night, blue sky that shone with gorgeousness.

Impatiently, I tapped my boot against the muddy ground that surrounded the swings—our secret spot. I held my coat tighter as the grip of the picture I clutched squeezed. 

Did Teresa tell him about the papers? Did he open it up? Will he forgive me and come?

Groaning out of frustration, I looked up at the night and took in my surrounding. Briefly closing my eyes, I felt a soft yet cold trickle delighting the tip of my nose. When I untied my eyes, I saw a snowflake resting there as countless of others began to whirl down around me.

It was beautiful.

Snowfall came and in the perfect moment—the time that I gave my macadamias to a man. A girl that’s a feminist shows how much she loves a man by spending hours in the kitchen and baking. And hell, he better like those cookies because I’d never do it again. It was degrading to see myself with an apron and letting Olivia and Alexis tease me because of it.

But as soon as I saw the building’s lights that sparkled across the midst of falling snowflakes, a smile fenced my sneering mouth. “It’s so beautiful,” I whispered as I raised my free hand, letting little snow creatures land on my palm and rest there with its cold yet tingling sensation. Glancing up at the snow-covered scrawny trees that surrounded the park, I fought a smile as I felt swooning away, leaving my worried self in the core of a winter wonderland.

But it was just beautiful.

And soon, I found myself within the haze the beauty that winter spelled on. Twirling around with my hands aside, I closed my eyes and heard my own laughter blending with some sweet chuckles.

“Charming as always, Butch.”

Snappily, I stopped and turned around to see a slightly panting Andrew with huge cocky grin on his tempting face.

 “You came,” I breathed as my heart raced off.

“Duh,” his smirk grew wider as he crossed the breathtaking wintry scenario. “Or… maybe I’m not here and I’m just a product of your imagination.”

But his taunts didn’t affect me. He came! And all that I could do was to stare at him and to glance at his loosened black tie that messily hung on his blouse—a white dressing blouse that cleaved from his every muscle. Captivatingly, his enchanting smirk lightened the snowflakes brighter as they whirled around him, but he seemed not to notice that it was snowfall. Andrew just narrowed his eyes at me with a glint of amusement.

“Macadamias are my favorite,” he mentioned nonchalantly as he walked closer to me.

Shaking my head, I had to reason whether he was real or not. “Um.”

“I missed this place,” he glanced around the swings and smirked as he came closer and closer. “So, Miss Riley Butch Michelle Benjamin, I’m here,” Andrew threw his arms at his sides and innocently shrugged while his chest heaved, “What is it?”

Looking up at him, I saw how the snowy dusty particles swirled around him and rested upon his thick and boyish eyelashes. He blinked a few times, smirking down at me, and clearly controlling his breathing.