#37 The Day of Confessions

Start from the beginning

Mom and Dadi had a relationship that was different from the latter's bond with Chachi. There was a strain there and it stemmed from a lot of things and I guess a little misunderstanding on Mom's part. But I doubt she wanted Mom to be out of the loop. Sneaky Dadi… as soon as I'm done with Mom's call I'm going to see her. 

'You're probably right. Anyway, I'm not happy you got a suspension on your record. This better be the first and last of its kind. I can understand what prompted your actions, but learn to control yourself. The world is filled with people like Azhar and you can't go around exacting vengeance like that. It's a lot better to let none of that bother you. Or at least show the rest of the world that you're unaffected. My daughter's worth more than petty little idiots.' Mom lectured. Well not really. She spoke sternly I suppose. And her advice reflected Dadi's lesson.

'Thank you for understanding me Mom. I won't disappoint again!' I promised cheerfully.

'Yeah yeah. You just caught me in a good mood. Anyway, I have to get ready for leaving.'

'Give Samir and Safwan and Dad my love and salaam. And have a safe trip Mom.'

'In sha Allah. Take care then. Assalamualaikum.'

'Wa alaikumasalaam wa rahmatullahi wa barakatuhu.'

I could fly away with the wind! The guilt and burdens within me finally vanished when I confessed everything to Mom. And my cunning old Dadi…

It was close to dinner time so I'd have to show my face downstairs anyway. I went and met Dadi in her room. She was resting on the divan with her eyes closed. Her spectacles lay on top of the book she must have been reading. I had come running to the room, I began retracing my steps slowly when Dadi opened her eyes.

'Come in Juni beta. I was just closing my eyes for a bit.'

'I'm sorry, Mom just called,' I remarked as I sat next to her and pulled the red cushion to my lap.

'Did she now? When is she leaving Muscat?' Dadi asked picking her book up and searching for the place she left off reading. Her casual act wasn't fooling me.

'Tonight. I told her about the suspension.'

Dadi stopped midway as she was flipping a page to stare at me for a bit and then she resumed. I didn't miss the way her lips quirked up a bit.

'But why? I thought you didn't want her to know,' Dadi stated.

'Did you now?' I asked arching one brow up and staring at Dadi pointedly.

'Yeah. That's why I asked Javed to keep mum about it as well,' Dadi said matching my gaze with her own twinkling hazel eyes.

'Oh. Silly me… I thought maybe you did it on purpose so I'd fess up to Mom,' I quipped smirking.

At first Dadi just stared at me. Her face betraying none of her thoughts. And then she started laughing and hit my head lightly. I joined in her laughter and ended up hugging her as I finally struggled to breathe. And she stopped as well and held me close. I laid my head on her lap and held her hand in mine. She stroked my hair tenderly.

'Jazak Allahu Khairan Dadi.'

'Wa iyyaki my Juni. But beta I did nothing. It was all you,' she said with an affectionate smile on her face.

'Come on Dadi. If you hadn't stopped Dad I'd never have told her on my own.'

'No. I'm sure you'd still have wanted to tell Sunaida anyway. I just sped up the process a bit.'

I squeezed her hand in gratitude. We were having a moment Dadi and I, so of course it had to be crashed by the rest of the family. First it was my cousins and then their parents excluding Irfan Phuppa.