Chapter Four

Pride: the most envied dormitory on campus, perhaps even the most envied in the world.

Sitting on her queen-sized bed, staring at the big-screen television, Nocte could hardly believe that she was, once again, a Pride resident. She heard Pyralis stumble out of their walk-in closet, her hair a little unruly, and she smiled at the alchemist. Perhaps what was even more disbelieving was that Pyralis was her roommate this year.

Maybe things were looking up?

“Do you want the right or the left side of the closet?” Pyralis asked.

Nocte shrugged, quiet. “Whichever is left.”

“Left it is,” Pyralis said, walking into the bathroom.

No one was surprised to see the large hot tub.

“I’m surprised we’re not on the seventeenth floor,” Nocte commented as she lifted herself from the bed for the bay window.

“Hmm,” Pyralis hummed, not liking their floor either.

The fifth floor was much too close to the ground for any of their liking.

“V4,” Nocte murmured, watching the people struggle with their luggage below. “Wŏ sĭ.”

Pyralis picked up the patch-worked bag from the foot of her bed and began to unpack. She didn’t have much. Being the Lady Alchemist and the Lady Necromancer were only titles, no money or land. It was only fortunate that Měi Fèng had given an estate to Nocte, perhaps more than just luck. With Nocte being a Yin (or a disowned Yin), Nocte had a lot more connections than Aman, Pyralis and Corliss combined.She didn’t whether she should feel used or not, but as empress, Měi Fèng needed to choose her allies carefully.

As it was, when Witley showed up with Nocte’s two suitcases, Nocte felt embarrassed seeing her luggage next to Pyralis’ old, cloth bags. At least Pyralis’ alchemy bag was new – a gift from Měi Fèng during the empress’ coronation.

Hopefully things would get better for Pyralis.

But what did the future hold for Pyralis? For Aman? Corliss?

Certainly not the same things as Nocte.

“Thank you, Witley,” she thanked as the spy lowered the suitcases. “I can manage now.”

“Then I will be off,” Witley conceded. “Farewell, mistress. Farewell, Lady Alchemist.”

Both Nocte and Pyralis (who still wasn’t used to being called the “Lady Alchemist”) nodded as Witley bowed and dismissed herself. Nocte knew how to contact her if the times called for it; her cell phone was in one of the suitcases.

“How is your estate?” Pyralis enquired after Witley left. She was unravelling her clothes for the closet, all of them wrinkled and creased.

“Good,” Nocte answered, and said no more. She didn’t want to seem like she was bragging when it was obvious as to who had more money. Sheflushed, ashamed.

Pyralis frowned and stood, leaving her clothes to lie feebly on her bed. Not meeting Nocte’s eyes, the alchemist had to ask. “Nocte.”

Nocte tensed, stopping half-way in unzipping a suitcase. Did Pyralis know that she was feeling guilty for being richer? “Y-Yes?”

Pyralis didn’t know where to begin. Instead, she unbound her hair and finger-combed the stray strands back into place. As she was retying a new side ponytail, she spoke, looking out the window, “Do you see…”

“The sky?” Nocte enquired, hoping to turn Pyralis away from her embarrassment.

Pyralis felt a tick form on her left brow. “That’s not what I wanted to say.”