Part 2 - Diversion

With dawn came the full realization of just how stupid he'd been. Cassius should have killed and left the palace. It would have meant that he had to leave the city, the country even, but it would have been better than to stay in this viper's nest. It was a ridiculous notion to think that he could protect anyone's life within these walls, much less his own.

The young heir had slept like the dead, one hand resting on a down pillow, the sheets sliding along his limbs to expose unmarred skin. It had been a taunting image, a kind of reckless act to show how the foolish heir controlled the situation.

A servant slipped inside without a word, arriving with a basin of warm water. Steam rose from the surface in slow gyres that somehow created the illusion of a tranquil atmosphere. The man appeared startled for all of two seconds until he had regained his poise. "Who are you?"

It was a good question. Fully clothed in dark leathers and an assortment of blades on his belt, Cassius looked the part.

"The new bodyguard," he answered.

The servant made a short bow as if he would rather not know, left the basin by the washstand and scurried out. This would have been the perfect moment to open the closest window, scale down the wall and never look back. The tale of his presence would spread fast, and guards would barge through the door within moments. He moved the thin curtain aside and peered out onto the courtyard below. The bricks surrounding the window had been polished smooth as a precaution, preventing anyone from climbing either in or out of the heir's residence.

Sheets rustled behind him. Cassius stepped back and crossed his arms, waiting for the sounds of heavy boots outside the door. It was only a matter of time.

Takeeo sat up and eyed him, one shoulder exposed where the nightshirt had slipped during the night. "You may excuse yourself," the heir said, pushing the sheets away.

Bristling with badly contained anger, Cassius weighed his words. "Where to? The guards will pay us a visit."

"Ah, you wish to keep your life then." The heir spoke in a way that suggested that Cassius life had no worth. "Very well, I will keep the dogs off your heels."

Cassius didn't move, instead he watched the heir stretch and bend in what could only be described as a performance. It escaped him what purpose it had, but he would never lower himself to ask.

A full minute passed while Cassius pretended not to care until the door flew open. A royal guard with a drawn sword came with his entourage of similarly clad figures. It was a spectacle of blue and brass details—little that would protect them from steel. Cassius squared his shoulders and placed his hands where he could swiftly reach his weapons.

"What is the meaning of this?" Takeeo spoke, draping a velvet robe around his body with a measure of agitation he had not displayed before.

"I may ask you the same, your grace," the guard said. The man's dark eyes glimmered with anger and lacked any sliver of servitude. This was not the heir's men, then. Perhaps they belonged to the faction that wanted Takeeo ten feet underground.

"A misunderstanding then. Surely, you would not want to harm my bodyguard."

A brief moment of absolute silence settled until the man found his tongue. "Of course, your grace, forgive us." The man was quick to sheath his blade and beckon the others to do the same. "We will leave you to your morning routine."

"So you shall. Show the bodyguard to the mess hall. He will eat with you. Also, guide him to the grand hall within the hour."

"Your grace." The guard bowed but was quick to rise. Eyes flashed in Cassius' direction, filled with foul promises. However, the only option he had was to follow these prancing spectacles.