Chp 7: Troop Seeker

Beep. Beep. Beep

What the bloody hell is that noise

Light attacked my eyes as I forcefully cracked them open. Squinting, I took account of my surroundings. A machine was in the corner, making a dreadful beep beep noise every time it registered a breath I took on my own. A chair and table sat next to the bed I currently rested in, and that was all that was in the room. The door that stood a few feet away from the bed opened, and I twisted my eyes shut as even more light filtered into the small room.

"Good. You're awake."

Of course. It had to be bloody Jaryd.

"Where am I?"

My voice was raspy, and my throat hurt with every little sound I made. My hands gripped my neck, and I started coughing. Jaryd disappeared and reappeared with a glass of water, holding it to my lips and making me drink. The water felt cool on my sore throat.

When the water was finished, he practically slammed the glass onto the table and hastily rose from the chair. Someone passed, and he waved them down forcing whoever it was to enter the room.

"See to it that she is ready for this evening's search."

And with a parting glance that almost looked like he was worried for me, Jaryd left. I smiled at the man who was left in charge of me as he began to take the wires that connected me to the machine off.  I flung the bedsheets off of me and took a good look at the damage I had from training with Houdini yesterday.

"I don't see why Jaryd needs you on that search. You still have at least a few days until all your wounds heal properly."

I ran my hands along my legs and arms, feeling the stitches and scabs over the wounds I received yesterday. At least one of these would open if I went on the search today.

The search.

Where would we go? I knew the way home from any part of the city, but that would only work if we were in the city. I needed to live up to my title as seeker, so I had to find them some resources, but again that all depended on where we went.

And who would even be coming with me on this search? Certainly a hunter would need to be there, and a guard since, as Jaryd so eloquently put it yesterday, I am still a woman. Cue an eye roll

I wouldn't have time to get away, there was no doubt the guard would have eyes on me at all times. I could, however, use this search to get a feel for how the men of the clan worked. I never spent any time with someone other than Jaryd while I was here months ago.

And with that, I was out of bed and out the door. The room I rested in wasn't far from the women's quarters, and I changed as quickly as I could without hurting myself. I needed to go on this search. To find out how these men worked so I could use any vulnerability to my advantage.

I used the stairs this time to get to the kitchen, I guessed everyone would be there since it was still early morning. I guessed about 7 a.m.  Since that seemed to be the time most people ate breakfast when our country was still teeming with human life. It had been four years, and everyone still ate on time because that was just the way we were raised. I found myself blinking away tears that I didn't know were there. My dad used to make breakfast for me and my mom at 7 a.m.

I recognized Houdini, and filed over to where he stood with two other men. I tapped his shoulder, and a smile erupted onto his face when he looked over his shoulder at me.

"Princess! How nice of you to grace us with your presence"

"Houdini."

I gave him a sharp nod. His smile faltered for a few seconds but he regained his composure, closing his eyes and throwing his head back in a laugh.

"You don't remember my name. I don't blame you. You got beat up pretty badly"

I heard the teasing tone of his voice, and figured he was putting on a show for the men behind him, who were also struggling to hold their laughs in. Cue another eye roll.  Light footsteps crept up behind me; I didn't have to turn around to see who it was from the way the men behind Houdini straightened up and made more of an effort to disguise their laughing.

Houdini, however, made no such effort.

"Why are you even here? I thought you'd be in the infirmary for a couple more days"

I opened my mouth to answer him with a sharp quip, but a husky voice came from behind me, sounding annoyed with Houdini.

"I told her to come along. She's a seeker, and your troop needs a seeker"

Houdini's eyes narrowed and his arms crossed over his chest. Jaryd stepped in front of me, holding me behind him. 

"What's the catch"

The tips of Jaryd's ears turned red.

The side of my mouth curved into a small smirk, and I bit my lip to keep from laughing. It seemed as though I wasn't the only one who wasn't afraid to incur the wrath of Jaryd. Houdini's eyes slyly stole a glimpse at me, and I found myself locked in his gaze.  The moment didn't last long, maybe about five seconds before Jaryd cooled off enough to answer.

"I'm coming with you. "

I couldn't help but notice the way the mischief in his eyes danced with the fire in mine.

"And why is that, exactly." I heard the words leave my lips before I realized I was saying them. I felt my eyes go wide and quickly disguised the surprise as annoyance.

The men looked over at me as though they had forgotten I was there, and Jaryd cleared his throat. I glared up at him, and  his gaze didn't affect me the way it used to. Instead, it made my ears and neck feel hot, but I felt nothing except frustration toward the man looking at me. He reached for my face and I took a step back; his eyes held hurt in them for a split second before he regained the steeliness in his eyes.

"I don't need permission to come along on one of MY troops' searches"

Cue another eye roll. Houdini huffed, his arms still crossed over his chest.

"Fine. But try to keep up. "

His eyes landed on me, the mischief in them glistening.

"You too, seeker"