Chapter 18: The Storm

Jamie P.O.V

I decide to spend the day at the park where I like to spend my nights. It's nice to see people have fun during the day, even if I cannot participate myself.

People play fetch with their dogs, children play games of Tag or Hide 'n Seek, couples take walks along the pond, and the elderly feed the ducks and birds.

The day is beautiful. New York often has nice weather to be out in. Although physical elements no longer affect me, it is still nice to see good outing weather.

I sit on a bench and watch the day go by; children laughing, people talking; everything just seems so peaceful. The world almost seems perfect during these days. Although, the world is far from perfect.

During moments like these are when I wish to be alive again. I wish to interact with people and feel the wind blow against my face. I wish to still exist in the living world, but that is impossible. I will never be able to live in the world again.

I sigh and run my fingers through my hair. It pains me to face the truth, but I have gone through enough to know that I should not lie to myself. Lying is hopeless.

'If only there was a way for me to live for just a moment. To show someone that I exist would make me feel so much happier. A century of being alone is so painful. If I had a way to die again I probably would have taken it.'

All of the sudden the weather begins to change. Sometimes it slips my mind that it can change so quickly. The sky turns gray and the sun seems to disappear. A storm is approaching.

Nearly everyone leaves the park. The day started out as beautiful but turned so quickly. All the people leave in seek of shelter. I, however, stay because weather no longer affects me.

It begins to rain, lightly at first and then it continues to get harder and harder. The only people out in this weather are those who were walking. Everyone who is still out attempts to stay dry, but to no avail. Some even fight with flimsy umbrellas that nearly break in the powerful winds.

The heavy raindrops do nothing to me. They simply travel through my body. I stay completely dry. Although I'm certain I wouldn't care even if I did get wet. The rain never seemed to bother me.

'I wish that I could once again feel the rain on my skin; to feel the cold water run down my arms until it reaches my fingertips. I would give anything to feel the drops of water actually touch my skin instead of simply phasing through my body. It's been so long since I've had the ability to feel anything physically. I only want to interact with the world.'

I sigh as the storm only continues to cause rain and darkness. The sky is a dark gray and the clouds are nearly black. Perhaps the storm is only going to get worse.

I am about to leave when I hear a child laughing. Something about the tone makes it sound familiar as if I've heard this child before. I look around the park for a few moments before spotting said child. She is dressed in a bright yellow raincoat and matching boots.

She laughs and dances in the puddles of water as the rain continues to fall. Something about her happiness makes me smile. She's so carefree. Children are the luckiest of us all.

Her father comes out too. He looks just as happy. He carries an umbrella and watches her dance around happily. Something about the two seems familiar. It only takes me a moment before realizing that this was the man who actually acknowledged my existence.

'This must be a coincidence. I thought I would never see him again. How funny to think that he stands about fifty feet away from me. Perhaps I should talk to him. On the other hand, I wouldn't want to interrupt his time with his daughter. That could be considered invading his privacy. He also might find it a bit strange. This decision is a rather conflicting one.'

I remain where I am on the bench and decide not to say anything. Even with the promise I made to myself, I cannot bring myself to talk to him. It is too strange and I would not want him to think I am insane. I also wouldn't want other people to think he is insane because he is the only one who can see me. I'm not exactly sure if his daughter can see me.

Suddenly as I am contemplating what to do, the daughter runs by and stops in front of where I am sitting. She smiles when she sees me and then looks confused.

"You're dry, but it's raining really hard," she says softly, "Are you a wizard?"

I laugh quietly to myself. She is a very adorable child who is obviously curious about things that can't be explained just by looking at them. If someone saw me they wouldn't assume I was dead, I would have to tell them. The only problem is that I am not sure whether or not I should tell her the truth.

"Um, well," I start before pausing, "a lot of things no longer affect me because of my magic spells. Rain does not get me wet, lighting will not strike me, hail will not hit me," I lie to her.

I am not fond of lying to children because it is not fair to let them believe what is not true, but I do not have any other choice. I cannot tell such a young child the truth of my nature.

Her father walks over and sees me. "Maria, don't bother him. It's time to go home."

She lets out a small whine. She obviously isn't ready to leave yet. I wouldn't want to leave either.

"I can assure you that she is not causing any trouble," I tell him honestly.

He looks at me and sees that I am not soaked by the rain. He must be curious because he arches a brow at me.

"Yeah! I wanna stay and talk to the magic man!"

He sighs and sits down. This is my chance to talk to him and tell him the truth.