"Helga," She heard Bilbo say from beside her. "Are you alright?"

"Well, I'm no better than you, that's for sure," She said. She looked at the hobbit and smiled. She took of her cloak, shook it, and handed it to Bilbo. "Here."

"It's alright. It's yours." He said, smiling despite the harsh weather.

"I insist... You poor thing." She said, muttering the last part to herself as Bilbo took it and wore it. He on the hood and gave Helga a small smile.

"Thanks," He said. Helga smiled at Bilbo, a fond memory returning to her. "I miss my home," He suddenly blurted, and Helga turned to look at him. "I know that the Company might think that I'm weak for missing it, but I do." Helga smiled.

"Don't ever feel ashamed to say that you miss your home. It's not bad to miss your home. I mean, I miss my home everyday." She said, looking at him.

"Can you tell me more about your home, Helga?" Bilbo asked.

"Indeed, Lady Helga," A voice spoke up from beside her and Helga rolled her eyes. It was Kili. "Tell us more about your home."

"Didn't your mother ever teach you that it's rude to eavesdrop on someone's conversation, much less interrupt it?" She asked the dwarf next to her.

"Aye, she taught us that," Fili said from beside Bilbo. "But we've decided to ignore it." He said and Helga sighed and rolled her eyes.

"How did your mother ever survive raising the two of you?" She muttered.

"Oh, it wasn't only our mother who raised us. Thorin helped her." Fili said and she looked at Fili in disbelief.

"Thorin raised the both of you? He's your father?" She asked, looking back and forth at the two dwarves.

"You could say that... He's our uncle. Our father died when we were little, so Thorin took the responsibility and took care of us." Kili said, laughing. Helga blushed. How could she have missed that these two were related to Thorin?

"So that must make you princes." Helga said, looking at both of them and they both nodded. She shook her head and laughed out loud.

"What's so funny?" Kili asked and Helga just smiled at him.

"Nothing. It's just that I would never expect you to be a prince. Your brother, sure, but you... You seem too free to be a prince." She said. Kili didn't know whether to take that as an insult or a compliment, so he just sat there on top of his pony as the silence stretched upon the company.

Later on, they arrived at a small clearing, just outside of Trollshaw. They stopped by a ruined and burnt down house, which gave Helga a bad feeling about the place.

"We'll camp here for the night," Thorin declared. He dismounted his pony, along with the rest of the company, and turned to his nephews. "FilI, Kili, look after the ponies. Make sure you stay with them." He said, and the company started setting up.

"A farmer and his family used to live here." Gandalf said somberly. Helga took the hint of his voice, and agreed; There was something foul in the air, and it made Helga uncomfortable.

"We should not stay here." Helga said. She met Thorin's eye with a serious glare, but he was still as stubborn as a mule.

"Oin, Gloin. Get a fire going." He ordered, with a 'Right you are' as a response from Gloin.

"Did you not hear us? We should not stay here." Helga exclaimed, marching to Thorin.

"I think it would be wiser to move on," Gandalf said, following her. "We could make for the Hidden Valley." He said, and he raised an annoyed brow as both Thorin and Helga sent glares at him.

"I have told you already, I will not go near that place."

"No, thanks! I'll just wait for you at the Misty Mountains!" Both of them said at the same time. They looked at each other, a brow raised in question. Gandalf, if he was not annoyed, would have found this most amusing.

But he was annoyed, and had no time to smile or laugh about the both of them.

"Why not? The elves could help us. We could get food, rest, advice."

"I do not need their advice." Thorin spat.

"We have a map that we cannot read. Lord Elrond could help us." Gandalf explained.

"Help? A dragon attacks Erebor, what help came from the Elves? Orcs plunder Moria, desecrate our halls, the Elves looked on and did nothing. You ask me to seek out the very people who betrayed my grandfather and betrayed my father." He defended.

"You are neither of them. I did not give you that map and key for you to hold on to the past."

"I did not know that they were yours to keep." Thorin said darkly, and Gandalf huffed. He turned to Helga, hoping to reason with her.

"And you, Helga? Do you not remember a debt that you owe to Lord Elrond and two other boys who cried when they were left to fend for themselves?" He asked and Helga clenched her fists... As much as she respected Gandalf enough to try and not to strangle him, she would still be obliged to punch him right now. "I think a visit is long overdue."

"Of course I remember! Not a day goes by where I don't think about the life debt I owe Lord Elrond! And the boys! I miss them ever since I lay their sleeping bodies down, swung my bag, and never looked back!" She exclaimed, her eyes starting to become glossy from unshed tears. The Company, and even Thorin, were dumbfounded about this emotional confession. She might have been with them for a few months, but it seems that they never took the time to get to know her. They realized that the woman that they were travelling with was a stranger to them.

"Then why not go to them? Your stubborness and your shame should never come together." Gandalf said, mumbling the last part to himself.

"My answer is no, Gandalf." She said, and Gandalf angrily stomped off, leaving the company. The last thing they heard was Gandalf shouting.

"I've had enough of dwarves and the stubborness of a Skyrunner for one day!" Helga was left to think about her next move. If she were to leave now, she'd have to do it quickly and in the middle of the night. However, whatever bridge of respect was built between her and the Company will crumble, never to be repaired again. But if she continues with the Company, when Gandalf returns, he will surely find a way to bring them to Rivendell and whatevet bridges she had burned will come haunting her again... But before she had made a clear choice, a voice cut through her train of thoughts.

"What secrets have you been hiding from us, woman?" Helga turned, to see Thorin sending her a dangerous glare and with a sword held out towards her...

A Heart of Goldजहाँ कहानियाँ रहती हैं। अभी खोजें