the afternoon was slow. barely anyone came in through the door. so pony settled down with staring out the window, while two-bit mindlessly played some kind of game on his phone. yawning, pony took in the sights through the cafe window. a woman with fairly darkened skin walked past, sunglasses resting on her nose. her hair was dyed silver and she looked like she worked out a whole bunch. pony predicted that she was heading to the gym right now. on the other side of the street stood two boys, probably slightly older than him. the taller one, was tan, and had brown, shimmering hair. he seemed to excitedly pointing at something up ahead to the other. the slightly smaller one, was light skinned but had the blackest hair pony had seen in awhile. he seemed to be simply smiling at the other one talking, listening contently. pony then realized they were holding hands.

his eyes eventually drifted back to a boy who was standing in front of the cafe. he looked about pony's age. following the direction of his eyes, he noticed the boy was staring at the menu. the boy's eyes then flickered to the pastry case and then to pony. pony could have sworn he had seen a confused look on the boy's face when his eyes landed on him. then, the door opened, and the boy stepped inside. pony quickly stood up straight from leaning on the counter, making two-bit glance up from his phone and notice they had a customer. the boy quietly stood looking at the menu. observing him, pony could see that there was a colorful notepad sticking out of his jean jacket pocket. the boy was like a combination of the the couple he had seen before. tan skinned but with the blackest hair he had ever seen. his eyes were a swarming grey, a pretty kind of grey. the boy then shuffled his way over the counter.

"hi, welcome to stay gold cafe, how can i help you?" pony heard himself say, cursing himself for looking like a mess in front of such a pretty looking stranger.

"uh, hi, um, could i get a medium mocha frappuccino, please?" the stranger said in a quiet voice, eyeing pony's appearance.

"would you like whipped cream with that?"

"yes, please."

"that'll be $4.03, sir. anything else?"

"no thank you," he mumbled, getting out his wallet, a pen, and the notepad.

"your name?"

"oh, uh, johnny."

"that's a nice name," pony said under his breath, writing it down on the plastic cup in sharpie.

"u-um, thanks, i guess," johnny mumbled back, hastily handing over a 5 dollar bill. pony flared up and quickly gave him his change. he had heard him. now all pony wanted to was shrink back and disappear. but instead, he quietly handed two-bit the cup, who was eyeing him weirdly. too embarrassed, pony decided to stare at the counter before him instead of hissing a 'what' in two-bit's direction. his eyes skittering back and forth, he noticed a slip of paper had made it's home on the worktable. picking it up hesitantly, he noticed there was something scratched onto it in red ink. you look beautiful today! pony jerked his head up just in time to catch johnny leaving the cafe with his drink. the stranger turned back towards him and smiled softly before he closed the door behind him. pony's cheeks were now as red as two-bit's ugly phone case.

from that day on, pony started to go to work more frequently. darry and soda were both very happy to see their brother getting out more and looking more sprightly than usual, but were suspicious of the quick change. they have never seen pony smile so much. everyday, the notes and the stranger kept on making their way into the cafe. the notes ranged from have a nice day! to you're special! and keep being you! he even got cheesy pickup lines such as do you have a map? because i'm getting lost in your eyes. no matter how cheesy, pony could only get red in the face. he never had the confidence to write something back. he could only watch as the stranger walked out the door, always waving to them and then walking out.

"you should just give him your number already," two-bit huffed, not looking up from his phone. pony flushed.

"wha-"

"dude, it's really obvious that you like him. i saw you staring at him the first day he started coming. in the name of jack, just tell him."

"i can't just tell him!"

"uh, yes you can."

"and how can i do that?"

"uh, write it on the mcfreakin' cup?"

before pony could interject, the bell above the door rung, and right on cue, johnny walked in wearing his usual worn out blue jean jacket.

"the usual?" pony asked, smiling. johnny perked up, looking a little embarrassed. he nodded, handing over the usual 5 dollar bill. after the change was given, pony began to write on the cup. once he was satisfied, he gave the cup to two-bit, who was smirking. pony rolled his eyes dramatically at him and picked up the note left on the counter. you know what's beautiful? read the first word. pony giggled softly to himself.

"mocha frappuccino for johnny!"

"t-thank you!"

"anytime! stay gold!"

---

johnny quietly took the cup into his hands, the smell making it's way to his nostrils. turning it in his hands, he noticed the scraggly writing near the bottom.

if you were a vegetable you'd be a cute-cumber! - pony <3

underneath was a phone number. johnny couldn't help but smile and let out a tiny chuckle. he made his way towards the door and turned back to wave at everyone at the counter. as his eyes met with pony's, he saw him wink. johnny felt his face heat up further and quickly turned around and left before anyone made a comment on it. looks like a new number was going to added to his phone tonight.

word count: 1752

a/n lmao this took me so long and look it's the most common type of aus. a coffee shop au,, i am uncreative. i found this prompt on tumblr where one person is depressed and the other decides to leave happy notes for them so i tied that in, kinda. i hate it but i hope you like it lolol - pj (also if you can guess who i'm describing in the 'pony looking out a window' scene then i'll be v happy. are they real people, are they from a video game, who knows???)