What Happened in the Clearing

I enter the clearing and immediately freeze as I spot a mother deer and her two fawns

I enter the clearing and immediately freeze as I spot a mother deer and her two fawns. They too notice me, and look as if they may bolt. "It's okay." I cue to them quietly. "I am not going to hurt you." The mother deer stares at me, and I know it sounds crazy, but I almost feel as if she understands what I am saying. I slowly make my way into the clearing. "I am not here to disturb you. I just came out here to relax, and enjoy the day."

The mother deer looks at her two fawns and then back at me. I give a small smile and shake my head. "No, I am not going to hurt your little ones either. They are very fine looking young ones." She lifts her head and seems to look proud.

She then slowly approaches and stops about two feet in front of me. "Is it really you?" She asks with big doe eyes fixed on me. I start back a step or two surprised. "Y-you can talk!?" I reply, and I am sure my eyes are as wide as hers. "H-how?" I stammer.

"There are many Animals that talk. Sadly though not as many as there once was." She studies me with a slightly confused look. "You know this though, because you always stood up for us talking Animals when the Wizard sought to destroy us. Unless," she seems a little worried, "unless the stories my parents told me weren't actually true. I mean after all everyone says you are dead, and yet, here you are."

"I... I'm sorry. If I did stand up for the rights of all talking Animals I have no memory of it." I notice she hangs hangs her head looking bummed. "There was an accident, and after I woke up I had lost my memory. I still don't remember any of past before the accident and struggle to remember things I learn now."

"I see." She says as her fawns join her. "It must be horrible to not remember one's past."

"It is." I say taking a seat on the ground beside her. "Your children are beautiful." I say switching the subject, and she again looks proud. "Thank you. The smaller one mostly white one is named Velossfaeniel, and the one with more brown is named Eleniel. My name is Autumn."

"I am very pleased to meet you all. I am Elphaba Thropp, but I think you already know that." I smile at her and she nods. "Yes I do."

The two little fawns come over shyly, and study me. "Mama, is it really her? Is she really the person who stood up all us Animals against the Wizard?" Eleniel whispers. "She is." Autumn replies quietly, and the two fawns look from her, to me, and back to her. "But everyone, even you, said she was dead. You told us that there was a little girl from another world who killed her by tossing a bucket of water on her, and the water melted her!"

I am shocked when I hear the fawn say that. "I'm sorry, but did you say a child supposed used a bucket of water to kill me? That's crazy!" I interject, and Autumn looks at me. "Obviously you didn't die from the water, and it leaves me wondering why the Crows and Lady Glinda, her goodness, reported otherwise."

"Wait just a clock tick! Did you just say Lady Glinda announced I was dead?" She nods. My brow furrows as I stand, and with clenched fistes I begin to pace around the clearing. I momentarily forget that the Deer are there as I talk to myself. "Why in Oz would Glinda lie, and say I was dead? I mean I am not. Think Elphaba. Think!" I growl clenching my fists even harder.

"Mama, what is she doing?" I hear Velossfaeniel say. "I am not sure children, but stay back. I will try and talk to her." At first I don't realize that they were talking about me until Autumn approached me. "Elphaba?" She says gently and a little hesitantly. I open my eyes and pause my pacing. "What?" I snap not meaning to glaring at her. She shrinks back a little. "E-Elphaba, are...are you okay?"

"I'm fine. Why do you ask?" She nods towards my clenched fists. "It's... it's just that your fists are glowing." I look down surprised and startled I unclench my fists. "S-sorry... I didn't mean to alarm you. I... I have to go!" And before they could respond I take off at a sprint through the woods back towards the cabin.

"Mama, should we go after her?" Eleniel asks. Autumn shakes her head. "No, and I think it would be best if we don't tell anyone at all that she is alive. Do you understand?" Eleniel and Velossfaeniel nod. "Yes mother." They watch for a few minutes longer before they too leave the clearing.