He extended his hand. "It's nice to see you again."

"Again?" His mom put her hands on her hips as her gaze switched over to her husband.

"Yes, honey. I don't stutter when I speak." A wide, odd smile spread across his face. I met her some weekends ago while you and the girls were out of town for the third time in one month. Who's counting though?" He coughed then looked at his wife. "She is a very nice young lady." He mumbled something very low under his breath after that sentence. Tension much!

She looked at him a certain way, then she looked at Raheem with a smile on her face. "Oh, that's lovely Ralph. Well enough of this standing around, let's get inside. Julie will be so happy to see you Raheem. Much happier than I've ever been to see your father." She mumbled the last sentence.

Once we finally got pass that uncomfortable ass moment, we got to go into the house. His family seemed to be really friendly and welcoming, it's just his mother that has a problem with me. I don't know why though. I am not Bianca, and I am nothing like her either! I am not a slutty nympho, and I haven't and won't cheat on Raheem. I am not with Raheem for convenience, I am with him because I love him. I don't know how he feels about me though. He didn't answer my question. That seriously bothers the hell out of me. Anyway, though, his mom can't outright label me as a bad person just because Bianca is one. Not everyone is going to do Raheem dirty. Not everyone is the same. It's just down right ignorant to think that everyone is.

"Raheem where are you going?" I put my arm around his when he moved to stand up.

"I'll be right back in a few minutes. I have to go do something."

He then got up and walked away. Five minutes later, his older sister, Keisha, came over and took his seat.

"Sup?"

Don't tell me she's gonna act like the mom too! Just a few minutes ago she was greeting me along with the others, now I don't know what to think of her dry tone.

"Uh, hi."

She started laughing. "Why do you seem all shy and nervous? We family up in here girl. Chill."

Her saying that made the first legit smile of the day come on my face.

"Oh, I don't know. I'm just not really used to this."

Which is true. Julianna turned nine years old today. Shit, for my ninth birthday, I didn't get a damn thing. There was no family around me either. My mom and sister both stayed gone all day, and my grandmother was out of town, so I was just home alone with nothing to do. I am not used to seeing a nice, normal family gathering like this one. They all seem like they actually care about each other. Whenever my family used to try and get together, it'd be a bunch of cussing and threatening. Getting my grandmother and my dad together was like splashing water in hot grease. It don't mix! Her daughter a damn ho! She shouldn't have been mad at my daddy!

Wow, the more I think about those aspects of my childhood, the more depressing it seems. That's why I would try to make sure Qua had a decent childhood. Sadly, though, my grandmother let Arianna come back and take him two weeks ago. She took the child and left the state. Had I been at my Grandmother's house, that child would be mine. My grandmother acted like she didn't want to file for custody, but I should have done it my damn self. I have no clue where Qua is these days, but I just hope he's okay. I love that boy so much.

"Adrianna? Did you hear what I said?"

"I'm sorry I didn't. I was just thinking about something."

"Oh." She smiled as she put her arm around my shoulders. "Well you were saying how you weren't used to this, so my response was that you may as well get used to this."

That caused me to smile. We continued to talk about random things for a few minutes, until Raheem's mom came over to us.

"Keisha, let me steal Adrianna away from you for a minute."

"Yeah sure mom."

I slowly got up. Much to my surprise, she grabbed my hand and lead me out to the patio area.

"Please, take a seat."

We sat at the table. I just stared at my fingers, waiting for her to say something. She's the one that wanted to talk, so I think she should be the one to start the conversation.

"My son just put my ass in place." She laughed then shook her head. "And he had every right to. I really was rude to you and I do apologize for that."

"It's fine Mrs-"

"You can just call me Juliette." She said quickly. Clearly her and Mr.Ridgeway are still going through their problems.

"It's fine Juliette. Raheem is your son. You just have his best interest at heart. I understand."

She looked surprised when I said that. "Well... Yeah, that's right. That's part of what I was going to say. My family is my life. My family is my heart. I love hard. That little dumb bitch who he was with meant him no good. She was only with him because of the money he has. She never cared for my son, she was just a gold digger."

I didn't even know Raheem had money like that. I mean, I know the man isn't broke though.

I reached over to touch her hand. "Juliette, I am not like that. I was with someone who was all about money and materialistic things before I got with your son. If I really wanted money and materialistic things, I would've just stayed with that person. I am with your son because I honestly can't see myself with anyone else. I am in love with your son Juliette. If it weren't for him... I... I think I'd be.... I'd be lost. He's helped me through some of the most difficult times in my life."

I tried to blink back my tears, but a single tear slipped down my cheek. "Raheem is pretty much all I got. And that's okay, because he's all I need."

"Well, that's where your wrong. You have Raheem, and you have us too."

She got up and held her arms out. I got up with a huge smile on my face as I hugged her.

"Welcome to the family Adrianna."