2 - Some Like It Wet

Start from the beginning

Even while dining, I still brought the thing with me.   I'm that persistent enough not to give up on my search even with a pounding headache.

"No, everything is good, Sofia. Thanks," I answered whilst giving her a smile.

She smiled back and turned around with the tray on her hand. "Enjoy your food."

My eyes snapped at the said food at the back of my laptop. Yeah, it's probably wise that I should start eating before my attention and appetite leaves me.

So I started devouring my order.

After a few minutes though, my cellphone rang and vibrated on top the table. I picked it up, checked the caller and smiled.

"Yes, Bernard?" I answered after pressing the touch screen button.

The other line answered informing me of my due papers.  Papers that wrote about the artifacts me and my team found during an excavation in a Malta church backyard.

"Yeah, I'll be reviewing the report when I get home."

Bernard was my secretary.  He was good with his job and very dedicated to it.  If it wasn't for him and his call now, I might have forgotten about the papers that needed my attention too.

"Yes, yes. I'll email it back to you with my signature," I reassured him once he half-ranted on the line.

"Bye."

After putting the phone down, I decided to collect my things including the laptop and notepad I had spread across the dining table.  My plate was half finished and I left it as is when I stood up and turned towards the exit door.

"Charge it on my account," I said to Sofia along the way.  I saw her nod, understanding my instruction.

When I reached my building, I immediately pressed the elevator button.  It pinged when it arrived on the ground floor.

Everything was normal when I stepped inside, but the moment I leaned back against the wall mirror, I felt something not right.  I'm not claustrophobic so I can't really decide if it was just it, but the tingling in my back was so intense I had to pull myself away from the wall, my sling bag with the laptop inside hitting the floor.

"What's happening?" I asked myself when the air around me got heavier.

I stared at the wall mirror where I was pressed earlier and immediately, my eyes widened.

"Oh for crying out loud!" I groaned when my surroundings turned black.

This was exactly what I experienced last night.

*

*

*

"Shit! Dammit. Dammit! Mirror's a bitch! Mirror's a bitch! Put this in your head Nikki!" I admonished myself, straightening up quickly as I realized I was transported again in this unknown place.

How do I know that?

Well, obviously, I am not inside the elevator anymore.  Where I stood, the surrounding was spacious.  There was a large fountain in my left side jetting out silvery water while in my right, empty kiosks could be seen.  I stood in a ground with cobblestones while above my head, the seamless unending sea of stars, roofed me.

It was once again night, but at least I wasn't in that eerie place I was dumped in yesterday.  At least now, I am in what looked like a plaza surrounded by odd but civilized houses.