Chapter 7- Girlfriend

Abigail made her way towards her locker after saying goodbye to Jake amid the numerous other students who were making their way in that direction too. She opened her locker and deposited her bag. She quickly checked her schedule which she had taped to the locker door. French, Math and History. Great. She hoped that she would have at least some classes with Jake. Even though she’d only spent one day at this school, she was willing to bet that he was going to be one of the only friends she would make. She knelt down, unzipping her bag as she checked her watch. It was later than she had expected. Quickly, she gathered her books together and closed her locker, locking it hastily. She rushed off in the direction that she knew her French class was, having passed it on her first day, yesterday. Just to be sure that she didn’t get lost, she glanced quickly at her map of the campus that she had received, it confirmed her information and she rushed down the hall in the right direction. She cringed as the bell rang. She sped up. Almost there.

            The classroom door nearly slammed her in the face as it opened, she smiled sheepishly at the strict looking teacher who had opened it and ran into the classroom, but there was no one else there. Abigail shot a quizzical glance at the French teacher when she noticed that her back was turned, addressing someone in the hall. It wasn’t until a long line of students began to carefully file into the room that she understood. She felt like laughing, but she knew that would not help. She was still standing at the front of the room when everybody had taken their seats; she quickly scanned the various faces in front of her, looking for someone she recognized. There was Cindy, she cringed inwardly. And there, over by the window was Jake. He smiled a boyish grin and motioned for her to join her, patting the chair beside him in a friendly way. Abigail smiled back, moving towards the desk.

            “Hey there Abs” He greeted her when she  sat down.

            “Hey Jake” She placed her books on the edge of the desk and took out a paper, ready to take notes.

            The teacher was now talking to someone in very fast French who Abigail could only assume was a different French teacher.

            “Long time no see” He joked, propping his feet up on the desk, leaning back in his chair, his hand behind his head.

            “Um, Jake…I may have only been here a day, but I’m pretty sure teachers don’t appreciate people doing that.” There was a huge grin on her face.

            “Mr. Colton! How. Many. Times?” The teacher yelled, shutting the door behind her with a soft click. Apparently her conversation was over. She rubbed her temple with her thumb and index finger as if Jake was giving her a headache.   

            “Sorry Ms. Lawrence.” He pulled a fake look of guilt and lowered his feet, pulling out a pencil. “I’m ready to learn.”

            “I should hope so.” Ms. Lawrence replied, training him with a piercing gaze.

            He turned to wink at Abigail.

            Abigail smiled, turning to look at the front, she was startled to find the teacher looking at her “Welcome Ms. Scarlett, please kindly line up before entering my room, eh?” She raised her eyebrow, Abigail couldn’t tell if that was sarcasm or a warning but she could hear Cindy sniggering in the background and saw her turn to whisper something to her neighbor, who laughed, glancing slightly in Abigail’s direction.

            “Y-yes Ms. Lawrence” She stammered, her heart dropping again. Could she get anything right?

            Ms. Lawrence nodded and turned to address the entire class. “Today you will receive some time to work on your project that I assigned you last week. It’s due next Wednesday, presentations Thursday.” She watched the class as they pulled papers out of folders. She turned to Cindy. “Cindy, Mr. Trenton tells me that you helped Abigail out yesterday, could you please help her with the project? Explain the situation, the parameters; maybe show her some of what work you have so far?”