07

07
blink 182

+

when i get to detention, mr.hemmings is sitting at his desk playing music and grading papers. as soon as i walk into the room, i recognize the song as anthem part two and start singing and dancing. mr.hemmings looks over at me and i instantly stop. he must've seen me though, because he chuckles.

"have a seat, tana." he points to the seat in front of him and i sit down, tapping my pencil to the beat of the song. after anthem is over, what's my age again comes on. i chuckle.

"are you a big blink fan?" he smiles.

"huge." wow, he actually has a good taste in music, unlike the other 98% of america.

"me too." he looks up and smiles.

"are you really?" i nod. "wow, that's cool." i laugh.

"how so?"

"because you're a youngerish person who's into good music. other people your age like songs about trap queers and stuff." i bust out laughing. "what?"

"it's a trap queen, luke." i stop. "sorry, i meant mr.hemmings." he smiles.

"it's okay, tana, when it's just you and i, you can call me luke." i look down at my book and continue to read.
-
luke turns off his music, making me look up. he's already looking at me. i smile at him and he smiles back. god i love his smile. i love how one dimple presents itself, i love how his smile meets his eyes. his big, bright blue orbs.

"is it okay if we end this early?" he asks. i feel my heart drop. spending time with luke is nice, even when it's just a comfortable silence. "i have to go to the gym at four." i nod.

"you go to the gym?" i ask. he nods.

"every thursday." i smile. it's quiet for a minute because i don't know what to say. so i say something, but i regret saying it immediately.

"you look hard." luke just looks up at me from his papers, maybe he heard me wrong.

"i look hard? how can you even see under my desk? that's wildly inappropriate" he asks. shit shit shit. i feel my face go red and look down.

"i didn't- i mean i- not like-" he chuckles.

"it's okay, tana, i know why you mean, i'm just messing with you." he chuckles and i glare angrily at him.

"assho-"

"no cussing." he says, not looking up from his papers. i glare at him again. he looks back up and laughs at my expression. it's a high squeak like sound and i'm surprised when it comes out because his voice is so deep, i didn't expect his laugh to be so high. i laugh too. then something comes into my mind.

"wait..." he looks at me. "you said 'how can you even see under my desk'..." it might just be my imagination, but i think i see him flush a slight shade of pink.

"i was joking, tana." i nod.

"mhm. sure you were." he slams his papers on the table. it doesn't scare me though, because i know it's playful.