SEVEN - THE OBSCURIAL

"What the hell's going on?" I snap at Newt as we emerge onto the roof of the Squire's building, 

We're high up enough so that the people seem like nothing more than dots. The frigid air pierces my skin and whips my braids back. I fasten up my coat and wrap my scarf tighter round my neck, and I'm just about to repeat myself when I see it.

It's alive.

There's no way it could breathe or eat or see because it doesn't have a face or a body of any sort. It's a thing... but it's alive.

A colossal, whirling, almost fluid cloud of dark, violent energy, destroying everything in it's wake as it tears down the street, whipping and thrashing and booming; a red, molten core glowing inside of it like the belly of a volcano.

It's magnificent.

"What is that?" I breathe, stepping closer to the edge of the building. Newt thrusts a hand out in front of me, as if to stop me jumping off. I throw him a glare, and he returns his hand to his side quickly, looking back at the black cloud as it roars further away.

"A - an Obscurus. It's the living form of the repressed energy of a magical child. They're usually much smaller, but this - this is more powerful than any Obscurus I've ever heard of," Newt mumbles, looking confused and panicked at the same time. I peer at him, then back at the Obscurus. The others are enthralled by it too, craning their necks to see it.

Then, Newt suddenly turns to Tina. "If I don't come back - look after my creatures." He thrusts his suitcase into her hands, and fumbles in his coat pocket as Tina stares at him in shock. He extends a small, brown handbook to her. "Everything you need to know is... in there."

Tina takes it dubiously, her face pinched in a perplexed frown. "What?" She whispers.

Newt looks back at the Obscurus once more. "They're not getting it," He says quietly. He glances back at Tina, then suddenly launches himself off the building, apparating into thin air.

"Newt!" Tina cries desperately, but hes already gone. She turns to Queenie, her tone switching to firm but still worried. "You heard him. Look after them." She gives her sister the case and handbook and just as she turns to apparate off the building after Newt -

She sighs, and turns back to me. Her hand grips my wrist, and I look up at her, surprised.

"Come on," she mutters.

Before I know it, she drags me off the roof and apparates to the ground before I can even think about screaming. Grounding myself, I scan around for Newt, not finding him, before I take in the destruction around me.

We're in the Times Square, and the Obscurus is swarming around a group of shops. It surges and pulses and whirls and Merlin it's beautiful. 

Screams are all around as the people, both wizards and no-majs, scatter, trying to get away from it as fast as they can. Perhaps it's the way I'm wired, but I'm the opposite - I'm drawn to it rather than away from it. 

Then, I hear a dreadfully familiar voice, and I freeze in my tracks.

"To survive so long... with this inside you, Credence... "

Slowly, I turn my head towards the voice, and something surges inside me as I see Graves, approaching the Obscurus with a look of wonder, of appreciation, in his eyes. He walks slowly, ignoring the people scattering around him, the signs and buildings collapsing.

Credence. His boy, the boy I threatened to come after. 

"... is a miracle!" He calls, raising his hands towards it. Tina sees him too, and she stiffens at my sides.