CH 2 - Reunions

"I'm hooome! If anyone even cares!"

Once she shut the door behind her, Shannon swiftly removed her mud covered sneakers and left them near the front entrance. She made her way towards the living room, and judging by the resounding 'thumps' she could hear from the kitchen, a certain someone was indeed home.

"Shannon? Is that really you dear?" More 'thumps' followed, eventually ending with a muffled curse.

"Yeah Ma, it's me! Wanna come greet me or do you want me to save you from whatever the hell you're doing back there?"

She wasn't sober. Shannon was almost sure of it.

Even on a good day her mother was never the type to carry herself with any semblance of grace or dignity. But it was something familiar to Shannon, and in some twisted way she was a little relieved.

"No! It's fine! Just r-relax, annnnd I'll be there in a minute!"

Shrugging at her response, the young brunette plopped down on the living room sofa, putting her feet up on the coffee table. As her mother continued to scurry about in the kitchen, Shannon took the time to fully observe the living room.

Everything was arranged just as it was when she left. The family portrait that hung above their antique television set was as crooked as ever, and the slight crack in the wall still remained, though a bit larger than Shannon recalls.

She glanced down at the sofa. The faux leather was still surprisingly intact. It smelled of old cigarettes and booze, but that was something she had been accustomed to since forever...

Just as Shannon decided to reach for the remote, her mother jogged into the living room, arms wide open and a lopsided grin on her face . "My baby, welcome back!"

Shannon stood up, meeting her mother halfway. "Thanks Ma, it's good to be home..."

Yeah...she was definitely drunk again. Shannon had some slight doubts, but at such close proximity, no amount of perfume could hide the stench of alcohol. It probably explained why she didn't pick her up at the bus station....the excuses would pour in the minute she was sober again.

"You look thinner kiddo. Were they even feeding you over there?"

"They didn't have to feed me Ma, I can do that myself," Shannon stated, amusement lacing her voice as her mother continued to inspect her.

"Well, you should've eaten more then. What is wrong with you? Trying to starve yourself?" There was an edge to her tone now. It was subtle, but Shannon would've liked to think that she still knew her mother well enough to pick up on things.

Keeping her voice in as even a tone as possible, the younger Beveridge said, "If it's alright with you Ma...I think I'd like to go to bed now. I've had a long day..." She didn't want to rile her up any further. She needed sleep, not an argument.

"Oh! Well why didn't you say so dear? Your room is exaaactly the way you left it! Get some rest!"

Her mother's near instantaneous mood shift didn't go unnoticed, and Shannon had to resist cringing as her mother placed a sloppy kiss on her forehead.

"Have a goodnight Shannon! I love you!"

"Yeah....love you too Ma."

Shannon couldn't get away fast enough. She bounded up the stairs, skipping steps along the way. As soon as she reached the door to her old bedroom, she swung it open without a moment's hesitation, locking it tight as soon as she stepped inside.

Giving herself a minute to collect her thoughts, Shannon slid down onto the floor, her back pressed against the door.

A tired groan escaped her lips.