Chapter Twenty One

Start from the beginning

"Scott hey," I look up and see Carter walking down the hall with his arm slung around a pretty red head girl. She's got her arm wrapped around his waist and smiles at me sweetly. I decide not to be rude and give him a small wave. The two stop in front of me, obviously wanting to stir up some sort of conversation. "How have you been?"

"I've been better," I shrug as he smiles happily. He seems a little bit too happy standing here and talking to me. "How's Abby?"

"She's been better," he says nonchalantly. I glance at the red head who's just standing there and listening to our conversation. Carter immediately takes notice and moves to gesture toward her. "Sorry, I completely forgot to introduce you guys. Scott meet Scott, my girlfriend."

My mouth falls open and my eyes widen as soon as I hear that. I can't help but stare at them as I think about all of the assumptions that I made about Carter when I first met him. I look back and forth between the two of them and squint my eyes. 

"Your name," I say slowly as I look at the girl. "Is Scott?"

"My parents named me Scotland yes," she laughs and I take notice of the accent behind her words. She must be Scottish. "Everyone usually just calls me Scott though."

I take a breath as I process this new information. Does this mean that when I walked in on Carter wacking of he wasn't talking about me? He was talking about his actual girlfriend. After I went to Abby she did say that he'd been with some girl for months and that he couldn't possibly be talking about me. So that means he's not gay after all, which means that he was never in pursuit of getting in my pants at all.

"Nice to meet you," I say holding out my hand for her to shake. We quickly shake hands before pulling back. Carter immediately wraps his arm back around her waist as he looks at her with a smile. 

The same smile that I use to wear around Abby. 

"So what're you doing here?" Carter asks as he looks back at me. 

"Just picking something up."

"Okay well I'll let you get back to that," he nods and I nod back. I begin walking back down the hall but before I can round the corner I hear him calling my name. I turn around as he shouts at me. He walks a couple steps away from Scotland and a few steps closer to talk to me. "You should really visit your house soon. Abby missed you."

I nod again and he turns around, walking back to his girlfriend. As they walk away I can't help but feel bad for misjudging him. Maybe he's never had a thing for Abby. He's never once looked at Abby the way that he just looked at Scotland. I guess my protective instincts were going a little bit crazy when they started spending so much time together. I was wrong. 

After a couple minutes of walking around aimlessly and not knowing where I'm going, I finally run into what I believe to be my Father's office. But as I stop in front of the door it's the retched smell that's preventing me from entering the room right now. I pull the collar of my shirt up to my nose before soldiering up and pushing into the room. I swear, when I walk into the room, my eyes literally start tearing up a little bit. I can't help but feel bad for my Father, knowing that he's going to have to work through this whenever he comes back.