#MyHandmaidsTale

Exciting news, everyone! Wattpad's very own Fairy Godmother, Margaret Atwood and Hulu have teamed up to bring you an exciting writing contest inspired by The Handmaid's Tale, a new Hulu Original series premiering April 26th.

Adapted from the classic dystopian novel, The Handmaid's Tale is the story of life in Gilead, a totalitarian society in what was formerly the United States. Facing environmental disasters and a plunging birthrate, Gilead is ruled by a twisted fundamentalism in its militarized 'return to traditional values'.

As one of the few remaining fertile women, Offred (Elisabeth Moss) is a Handmaid in the Commander's household, one of the castes of women forced into sexual servitude as a last desperate attempt to repopulate the world. In this terrifying society, Offred must navigate between Commanders, their cruel Wives, domestic Marthas, and her fellow Handmaids – where anyone could be a spy for Gilead – all with one goal: to survive and find the daughter that was taken from her.

Your challenge is to create a 500-word short story inspired by Margaret Atwood's classic The Handmaid's Tale.

Tag your story with #MyHandmaidsTale and post the link to your completed story in the comments below so we know it's up (include the hashtag in your post below, too). The 25 top stories as selected by our Wattpad staff based on creativity and originality will be featured in a reading list on the Hulu profile, and sent to Margaret Atwood for final judging to select the winners.

10 winning entries, as selected based on the criteria above (by Margaret Atwood herself!), will be curated into an anthology that will be posted and shared on the Hulu profile (Wattpad.com/user/Hulu).

Consider the thought starters below for your short story entries:

- The Handmaid's Tale presents a complex view of women and their rights. How can you draw a correlation between rights for women and hope in your narrative?

- In what ways can you empower your female and male characters to rise above oppression and censorship?

- What are some interesting ways to bend the rules in strict societies ruled by fundamentalist governments?

Submit your story by June 25th at 11:59 pm PST.

Submission Guidelines:

1. Your story must be in English

2. Your story can be a maximum of 500 words. over that will be disqualified!

3. Entrants must be legal residents of the United States and at the time of entry

4. You can enter as many times as you want (with unique stories) during the contest period, as long as your entries meet our guidelines and comply with the official rules.

5. Your story must be original and created by YOU alone! Characters, specific plot points, etc. from the original novel or television series The Handmaid's Tale should not be used in your story

6. Your story, and any social media posts in which you share or link to your story, must be tagged #MyHandmaidsTale

NO PURCHASE NECESSARY. U.S. residents 13 or older. Void where prohibited. See Official Rules here.