Part 8

Sabrina couldn't believe how bold she'd been to ask why the tall man had asked her to dance. But he really didn't seem pleased about it and the question just slipped out. He just stared down at her, his gray eyes hard and handsome face unreadable.

But then he said her name and her heart started fluttering again. She'd never imagined that the sound of her own name could make her feel as if she were floating. Oh, but his voice... It just did something to her. Something she didn't understand.

After she'd admitted that she liked how he said her name, his whole face had lit up and now he grinned down at her. It made her want to do it again.

"Lieutenant, How-"

"Chris," he interrupted. "Call me Chris."

"Chris," she said softly and his face lit up again, making her feel as if her body was filled with golden light. "How long have you been in the army?"

"I just graduated from West Point in May. I leave tomorrow for training."

The thought of him leaving made her sad, but then she remembered that she was leaving, too. "What are you going to do for training?"

He smiled. "My end goal is to become a Green Beret, like my father. But I have a few years before I can get there. So, I'll work my way through training and combat experience until I can achieve my goal."

"Wow," was all she could come up with to say. A Green Beret? "Sounds dangerous."

"It can be." He shrugged. "But they make a difference. A big difference. Especially in today's world."

Sabrina nodded. Her parents didn't shelter her from reality. She knew there had been attacks around the world. More lately than before. It was scary to contemplate. But somehow, knowing men like Chris were out there, doing their best to protect her and the rest of the country made her feel safe.

"I think that's very admirable." She looked up at him again and her heart leaped in her chest when she saw him grinning again. "Why do you keep looking at me like that?"

"Like what?"

"You keep...smiling at me."

"Would you rather me frown at you?"

Sabrina shook her head and giggled "Not at all."

"Me, either."

She laughed and Chris laughed, too. Then they lapsed into a comfortable silence as Chris moved her slowly around the dance floor.

*****

"How long have you been dancing?" Chris asked as the next song began. He looked around and saw one of the male dancers looking at them and pulled Sabrina closer to him. Not close enough to be inappropriate, of course, but just close enough to let anyone else know he wasn't done dancing with her yet. Petty, maybe, but he wasn't ready to give her up yet.

"Since I was four," Sabrina answered, leaning back slightly to look up at him.

Had he pulled her too close? He released her slightly and nodded. "My mother is very impressed with your dancing."

Sabrina's cheeks turned pink. "Your mom seems very kind."

Chris looked up to see his mom holding a drink and talking with friends. She saw him looking and gave him a warm smile. His heart went out to her and he worried what would happen to her if something happened to him. Maybe he should have chosen some other career path. But she'd encouraged him to follow his dream. She was proud of him; this he knew without a shadow of a doubt. Still, he worried about her.

"Chris?"

Sabrina's voice pulled him from his reverie. "I'm sorry, did you ask me something?"

"I asked if she took in dancers often?"

Chris laughed. "We've had them here and there. She generally offers more financial support, although I suspect she has half a mind to open a boarding house for dancers." He chuckled and gazed down at Sabrina. "She was helped as a young dancer and ever since my dad died, she's devoted herself to helping up and coming dancers live out their dreams."

"Your dad...?" Tears filled Sabrina's eyes and her face. "I'm so sorry, Chris."

He wondered at the compassion in her eyes. "It was a long time ago." He swallowed. "He died with honor and I do... What I do, I do to honor him."

Sabrina nodded. "I think that's wonderful." She blinked several times and smiled up at him. "You're so brave."

Chris shrugged slightly. "I hope I prove myself to be."

The music stopped and he stopped moving. "Do you want to go out on the deck?"

Her eyes widened slightly and then she gave a slight nod.