Talk of Murder Over Capri Suns

Start from the beginning

           "I'm—"

           "A kid I'm babysitting," I blurted out. "She . . . she lives in the city! Her parents are off on a business trip and asked if I could watch her for a few days." You know, like you guys have done to me on endless occasions?

           "Oh," was the only response. I could still feel my father's piercing glare staring right through my metal foot. Cole reached for my hand again and gripped it tightly. This time, I didn't let go.

           "You didn't answer my question," my mother snapped, lips pursed. "What happened to your foot?"

           "There was an accident."

           "What kind of accident?"

           One involving a phone call and the loss of your career. "In a car. You know, the big metal boxes with engines and four wheels? Or has your time on a private jet befuddled your memory?" In all honesty, I was just looking for an excuse to use the word "befuddled" in that sentence. I still had no regrets, even when my mother stomped forward and slapped me across the face.

           My cheek stung. I could feel the imprint of her wedding band somewhere along my cheekbone. I could have stopped her. So could Cole. Cole probably thought I would stop her myself rather than get hit. I knew he regretted not helping; as soon as the slap resounded throughout the kitchen, he winced and pulled me slightly behind him. I wanted to tell him I could handle myself, but I was in too much shock to say anything.

           "You ungrateful brat," my mother seethed. "Go to your room!"

           I was seething. Forget about putting her down and bumping yourself up. She shouldn't be treating you so rudely. "So now you want to play at being parents?" I laughed humorlessly. "That's richer than your bank account! I'm going to my room now, but not because you told me to. Just 'cause I can't stand being around you anymore. Might as well go on another business trip while you're at it. And next time, send a text or call to at least warn us of the hell that you're about to break loose when you come home! Or better yet, just don't even come home!" I whirled out of the kitchen, Cameron hot in pursuit. Tears burned through the nerves behind my eyes. My brain was telling me not to cry over something as stupid as my parents. My heart was telling me not to hold it in, or I would regret it. My instinct was telling me not to come back to this house ever again.

           So, as always, I went with my heart. It's taken me this far in life. But my heart won't always be the right decision. One day, my heart would be shattered, and there would be nothing holding down the human side of Kiera Knight.

           "Where are you going?"

           "Either out for ice cream or to commit a heinous crime, I'll decide in the car," I responded, roughly snatching my keys from a hook by the door. Anger coursed through my veins. That woman didn't deserve to be called a mother. I was ashamed to call her my mother. She didn't care—she never did. I was almost glad that Finn never met her.

           He would have been disappointed.

           I whipped open the front door with unnecessary force and stepped outside. I reached to slam the door behind me when I saw the look on Cameron's face. I paused. She looked sad, and possibly a little scared. "Can I come with you?" she asked cautiously. "I get the feeling she doesn't want me around."

           I open my mouth to respond when a figure stepped out from behind her. A glare immediately set into my face. "What?" I ask harshly. "Haven't you done enough damage just by coming back?"