Talk of Murder Over Capri Suns

"I was really praying that this was a prank," I whispered to Cole, my eyes wide. I found piles of suitcases and bags lying all over the living room. "A really cruel and horrible prank."

           "I wouldn't joke about this," he muttered back.

           "I can't even remember the last time all of them were home at the same time."

           "Me neither," Cole said with a shake of his head. "Come on. Let's get this over with." He put a hand on the small of my back and led me towards the kitchen doors. I tensed at the contact, then relaxed into it.

           Here goes nothing.

           "Kiera! What are you wearing?!"

           I immediately walked out of the kitchen. Cole grabbed my hand and pulled me back. He gave me a look that said, You better not leave me alone with them.

           "It hasn't been two seconds and she's insulted me," I hissed to him.

           "Please," he whispered desperately. He squeezed my hand and my willpower crumbled. I sighed and let him pull me back into the kitchen. All four of them looked up at us. Cole's mom, Veronica, tried for a smile.

           "Cole! Come give your mother a hug, it's been too long!"

           "And whose fault is that?" he asked with a glare. There goes the calm and collected plan.

           Veronica shrunk back into her seat, looking hurt. I almost felt bad for her.

           I looked at my dad, only to find him staring at my foot. My metal one, to be precise. I shifted myself behind Cole slightly, releasing his hand in the process. My dad looked up and I scowled at him. The look on his face was a mixture of emotions. Anger. Sadness. Horror. Shock.

           Swallowing back my shame and disappointment, I stared my father right in the eye, daring him to confront me. Of course, he didn't. It was rare that he cared enough to scold me anymore. I wasn't sure what could be worse—to be hated or ignored. Instead, I got both ends of that spectrum.

           I heard my mother gasp. Here we go. "Kiera Addison Knight! What happened to your foot?!"

           Mentally preparing myself, I took a deep breath. "There was—"

           "It's hideous!"

           I glared at her. Almost as hideous as your attitude. But I couldn't say that. Wouldn't. Especially not to my mother. After experiencing it firsthand, I realized long ago that I couldn't bump myself up by putting other people down. I was already at rock bottom because of my parents. But the best part about rock bottom is that you can only go up.

           Or, you know, you could be me and just keep digging deeper.

           "Don't talk to her like that!"

           As if the situation could get any worse. Everyone's heads snapped quickly to the voice behind me, including my own. My neck cricked and I winced. I scowled at Cameron, even though neither Cole nor I told her to stay away from the parents. I shouldn't have been angry with her appearance, but I was.

           "Who is this?" Veronica asked. A seemingly innocent question, but I saw the look of disgust on her face. She hated children. One of the reasons why she never bothered to be around to raise her own. My lips twisted into a disapproving frown.