Chapter 4 - Keepers of the House

When we reached the compound, Klaus and Elijah walked ahead of me as I carried Hope. It was still trashed from when Klaus' former sirelings  wrecked it five years ago.

Klaus looked around in distaste. "Our home. Once the pride of our family, now a flophouse."

"Indeed, the mighty have fallen," Elijah agreed.

"Where's Vincent?" I asked, frantically.

"Right here," Vincent walked closer as I placed Hope down gently and stroked her face, worriedly. "Kept my word. Now the only question is whether or not you guys are gonna keep yours. As soon as I'm finished healing your kid, you gotta leave the city."

"Well, we're not gonna stay, are we?" Klaus said, angrily. "Your city has lost its charm."

I stood and held my hand towards Klaus. "What he means to say is that we're very grateful. Just help her and we'll leave."

"Just give us what we need and we'll do so happily," Elijah added.

"Excuse me," Vincent knelt in front of Hope. "Okay."

The three of us watched as Vincent worked his magic.

"Nettoyer timoun sa a. Nettoyer timoun sa a. Nettoyer timoun sa a," Vincent lightly taped his hands on Hope's temple, waking her up.

Hope looked at me. "Mom?"

I instantly ran to her, placing my hands on her head, relieved.

"That's it," Vincent told us. "Your little girl is purified."

"Thank you," Klaus said.

"Now, look, the only gratitude I need from any of you is seeing you leave the city," Vincent replied.

"Go see your daddy," I told my little girl.

Hope walked closer to Klaus and suddenly, birds started to fall dead to the ground around us

Hope walked closer to Klaus and suddenly, birds started to fall dead to the ground around us. We all looked around, alarmed as they continued to fall.

I knelt in front of Hope and made her look at me.

"What is this?" Klaus asked.

"I don't know," Vincent answered.

I put my hands on Hope's head in concern before grabbing her hands.

"Mom? Can you hear that?" Hope asked. I looked at her, worriedly. "Whispers. Saying a name. Over and over. Kre nah han. Kre nah han."

"Vincent, what--what is that?" I asked, looking at him.

"It's a nearly forgotten dialect," Vincent told us. "It's Creole. It means 'The Hollow', The Hollow is coming."

I looked back at my daughter, looking at her in concern and panic as the dead birds around us formed a perfect circle.