Twenty

Twenty-Move On

Bianca

Six Months Later...

I sat with my arms crossed over my stomach on the living room couch. I was six month into my pregnancy and six months into not speaking to my parents, who had just gotten re-married. God, I hated them. And now I sat on the couch with my husband in front of me, trying to talk me into seeing them again. 

"No, I won't do it. I told you before and my answer hasn't changed."

He sighed. "You'd deny them a chance to see their only grandchild?" I huffed and turned away from him. "They at least deserve to be at the birth."

"I'll think about it." 

"Baby, please just talk to them."

"I'll think about it. This conversation is over," I said standing. I waddled my way over to the kitchen pantry for a few crackers and milk. I sighed and leaned back against the counter. 

Should I talk to my parents? Just admitting who they were was hard. My father faked his death to run off with another woman and my mother willingly took him back with open arms! What was to keep that exact thing from happening again?  Who says I want my child around them in the first place?

But I couldn't ignore the voice that told me I was being selfish because, in truth, I was. Yes, they were my parents and they had made a mistake or two, but I don't think I could really keep their grandchildren from them. I finished my last cracker and picked up my phone, staring at the screen for the longest time. I had to do this. I dialed her number and waited. 

"Hello?"

"Hey Mom," I whispered. 

"Bianca?"

"Yeah, it's me." 

"How've you been? How's the baby?" 

I smiled at her concern. "We're both doing well."

"H-How's Dad?"

"He's at work right now, but he'll be home at 5:30 if you want to call again then."

"Maybe." Truth be told I probably wasn't going to. "Listen, I'm sorry about what I said." 

"I know, honey." 

"My next appointment has us learning the sex of the baby."

"Oh congratulations!"

"I want you to come, Mom." There was silence on the line for a little while. "Mom?"

"You want me to be there?" She sniffled.

"Yeah, I do." 

She broke down in a sob on the phone. "Oh, Bianca, I'd love to come."

"Good."

"Thank you. When's the appointment?"

"Uhh...a couple of hours. I'll text you the address." 

"Oh...okay."

"See you then."

"Bye." 

I hung up the phone and went to set up my purse and get my husband. I looked in the bedroom and he wasn't there as well as the kitchen and bathroom. "Zach?"

"Yeah?" 

I followed his voice to the backyard where he was setting up a little mini playground. I giggled and came out the back door. "What are you doing?"

"What's it look like I'm doing? I'm making a play set." 

"It's almost time..."

"Is it?"

"Mhm. I invited my mother to come...she is."

He smiled up at me. "That's great, baby." 

"Maybe you should get cleaned up."

He stood and walked over to me. "You don't like my sweaty body?" 

"Ew no," I frowned, pushing his toned chest away from me. 

"Oh really," he raised an eyebrow and kissed my neck while placing a hand on our baby's house, rubbing in comforting circles. I sighed in content and wrapped an arm around his neck, pulling him close. "You don't like my sweaty body, huh?" I rolled my eyes and walked away. 

"Shower!" 

I heard his laugh ring out as he climbed up the stairs, holding onto the rail. I sat down on the couch and pulled out a book, reading it. Around 45 minutes later, Zach came down the stairs in tight fitting jeans and a shirt, his hair still semi-wet from his earlier shower. "Ready to go, babies?" 

I smiled. "We're ready." 

At the doctor's office...

I shivered as Doctor Bell spread out the cold, clear goo onto my stomach. "It is a little cold, isn't it?" she laughed. 

"Just a little," I smiled, taking Zach's hand. My mother stood behind him, smiling bright. 

"Here we go. Taking a peek in the baby's house..." we waited a few minutes, looking at the screen. "There she is."

"She?" Zach asked. 

"Congratulations on your baby girl!" Doctor Bell smiled. 

I looked at Zach and happy tears filled our eyes. "Faith Marie," he said. 

"That's beautiful." 

"So is she."

I smiled as he bent down to kiss me. This was going to be our little girl. I didn't know it at the time, but that little girl would change our lives. She would repair our family bonds and be an amazing big sister to her little brother, Isaiah, born not even a year after her. This was my family and it was all because the Bad Boy's Bubble Gum.

I know the end was a bit suck-ish, but that is it. This story is officially completed