Chapter Two

.:. Zayn.:.

The moment Louie pulled me into his arms, I knew I could trust him. And I wasn't wrong. I told him my story. About my mom, brother, and stepfather. It seemed to strike a nerve in him, because ever since then, Louie has been looking after me. Like I'm his little brother. He never leaves my side. (The bathroom and shower were exceptions.) Whenever we go downstairs for our meal, he always pulls me behind his back. He gives everyone a cold glare whilst I keep my head down.

'Keep your head down.' Louie signed to me one day before we walked down the steps. 'If one of the boys notice you, you'll be fresh meet. They won't give you any mercy. Sounds over dramatic, but it's true. Got it?' I nodded.

It's my third day in the home. Right now, Louie and I are walking down the stairs, going to go get the left over scraps from the other boys. I have realized that Louie and I are treated differently than the other boys. Louie and I have to do all the chores. But whenever I'm told to do something, Louie tells me to sit in the window seat and he does it. He always returns with bruises and cuts. Another thing. The other boys are rarely ever beaten. Only if they do something non-tolerable. But they beat us whenever they feel like it.

We reach the bottom of the main floor steps. Louie grabs my hand and pulls me behind him. I instantly bow my head, and follow Lou's footsteps.

I don't mind being treated like this by Louie. I like the feeling of his protection. I feel safe with him. He's the only person I have trusted since my mother was killed.

"Here," one of the workers snapped, shoving a plate of chicken bones with almost all the meat already eaten. I frowned at the small portion.

"What's that?!" the worker yelled, her attention tuned onto me now.

"Are you being ungrateful?!" She brought her hand back, and I felt a sharp sting on my cheek. I raised my hand to my burning cheek to feel a warm substance spill from my lip. It was blood. I looked at Louie, who was glaring hard at the woman. In his eyes, there were flames. A raging fury.

"Don't expect to be eating anytime this week. Filthy scum." she hissed, and snatched the plate away.

We walked up the stairs, hand in hand. When we reached the door, tears started brimming my eyes. I realized it was my fault that we didn't have anything to eat tonight. Guilt flooded over me. A sob escaped my lips. Louie heard it and turned around. His expression softened, and he pulled me into him. I pulled back, and rubbed a fist over my chest. 'Sorry.' Louie shook his head and pulled me into his arms again. We stood in the room like that for a while. Me crying, him comforting me. He pulled back, and led me to my bed. "Sit." He ordered. I nodded and sat. Louie walked to the chest at the end of my bed, and grabbed a pair of pajamas. He walked back to me and set them on the bed. He pointed to them, then to me. I nodded, and started to change. By the time I was finished, he was changed, moving the duvet on his bed and I was still crying. He turned, and motioned me over.

"You don't ever need to be sorry for anything. Especially if you did nothing wrong. Do you understand?" He signed, pounding his hands whenever he wanted to emphasize a word. I nodded, and wiped my face. He opened his arms, and I let him comfort me again.

When my sobbing turned into quiet tears, he sent me to my bed.

.:. Louis .:.

The death. It haunted me as I searched for sleep.

Memories of the night kept flashing through my mind.

"What's the kid doing here?!" a man with a black mask asked.

I shook my head. Shook the memories out. But they kept returning.

"Is this your kid?" the man who was holding my dad by gunpoint asked.

I took my pillow and wrapped it around my head, trying to block the memories.

Dad nodded. What is going on? A man wearing a black coat grabbed my mom. She started crying.

"Maybe we could have some fun before we leave?" the man with the black coat said into my mom's ear. "We could have Jr. and Senior watch." The man started undressing my mom.

"Stop! Stop! Please!" She sobbed. I ran to the man and tried to punch him. He took out a knife.

"Watch it, kid." He said harshly. Someone grabbed me from behind.

"Louis!" My mum screamed, trying to get out from under the man's grip. "Louis! No!"

"Is that your name?" A voice asked from behind. "A nickname? Or is it really said Lewis?" I shuddered. "Lewis." The voice says now, hissing like a snake hunting it's prey.

"Lewis,"

"Lewis,"

"Lewis,"

"LEWIS!"

I jolted awake. I was in the home. Not back there. It was a dream. A memory. A horrible memory. The death.

I heard footsteps walking towards my bed. It was still dark out, but the full moon shinning through the window gave enough light to see a tired Zayn walking to me.

"Are you O.K.?" I signed. He shook his head.

"Bad dream?" I asked. He nodded.

"Me too."

He stood at my bedside a while. He moved his hands, but then stopped. He thought for a while, then moved his hands.

"Can I sleep with you?"

I nodded, and moved over on the bed, making room. I lifted the duvet, and he climbed under it. He wrapped his hands around my torso, and laid his head on my chest. Just like how my little sisters did. Whenever they had bad dreams, they would come into my room and snuggle next to me. I never minded, though.

My mind went back to the masked men, and what they did to my sisters. A tear escaped my eye, as more memories flooded my mind. But I felt something kick my leg, bringing my attention to Zayn. I smiled at him. He reminded me of my sisters. And he was my little brother. Maybe not through blood, but we still are. I will protect him from his murderous stepfather. I will protect him from the workers and boys in the home. I will protect him from his nightmares. I will protect him from his fears. I would lay my life for him. Just as I would have done for my sisters. Just as I have done for my sisters.

Please vote and comment :)

~Joy